Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Striker fired pistols (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/striker-fired-pistols-18683/)

Gojubrian 09-30-2009 03:13 AM

Striker fired pistols

Are striker fired pistols like the XD double or single action?

Is there any disadvantage or concerns with striker fired pistols vs. external hammer pistols?

NYPD13 10-02-2009 03:24 PM

I believe they can be both depending on whether or not the trigger loads and releases the striker (Glock) or simply releases it after the slide has compressed the striker (XDM).

NGIB 10-02-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 167796)
Is there any disadvantage or concerns with striker fired pistols vs. external hammer pistols?

The 1911 has an exposed hammer therefore all pistols should be equipped with such.

Seriously, it's just a matter of personal preference but I guess one advantage is you could cock an exposed hammer if you experienced a light strike. (Taurus offers second-strike capability on some of theirs I know)

roosterjuicer 10-02-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 169033)
The 1911 has an exposed hammer therefore all pistols should be equipped with such.

haha thanks! you made me laugh out loud in the library, now everyone is looking at me.

orangello 10-02-2009 05:18 PM

I was thinking about this the other night with my XD. I can't find a way to get a round chambered without racking the slide (disassembly not considered). Racking the slide cocks the striker. I'm fairly certain that pulling the trigger again won't recock the striker and release it. I guess this makes it a single action.

I want a decocker on my next pistol, so i suppose i will need an external hammer. Maybe i will find an inexpensive cz82 at the gun show Saturday.

gorknoids 10-05-2009 02:01 AM

If pressing the trigger serves to cock the weapon, it's a double action.

WDB 10-05-2009 07:45 AM

A good question.
As I understand it a single action pistol requires the hammer or slide to be cocked/charged for each shot. Striker fired pistols require the slided to be cocked/charged for the first round then the following rounds do not require cocking/charging. I would consider the striker to be a DA IMHO. I could be wrong and I'm surprised that some of FTF gun ghru's haven't provided the tech either way.

NGIB 10-05-2009 09:54 AM

All semi autos require the slide or bolt to cycle to chamber the next round so none of them are a true DA like a revolver - which brings the next round into play and cocks & releases the hammer.

I think most striker fired guns are a hybrid in that some slide movement is required to "reset" the striker for the next shot. I say hybrid as this reset may only partially "cock" the striker and the trigger pull does the rest. As I had mentioned, Taurus has a true DA second strike capability and it's the only one that comes to mind other than the Walther P99 which is a striker fired gun that also has a decocker...

WDB 10-05-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 170075)
All semi autos require the slide or bolt to cycle to chamber the next round so none of them are a true DA like a revolver - which brings the next round into play and cocks & releases the hammer.

I think most striker fired guns are a hybrid in that some slide movement is required to "reset" the striker for the next shot. I say hybrid as this reset may only partially "cock" the striker and the trigger pull does the rest. As I had mentioned, Taurus has a true DA second strike capability and it's the only one that comes to mind other than the Walther P99 which is a striker fired gun that also has a decocker...

Not familar with the Taurus or the P99, after decocking do you have to pull the slide again or flip the decocker to the fire position? If you have to pull the slide does the live round in the chamber eject or stay put? Might seem like stupid (might be) had to ask and expose my lack of experience with strikers with a decocker.

NGIB 10-05-2009 12:01 PM

The Taurus 24/7 Pro series (and maybe other Taurii) the trigger actually works as a true DA in that you can cock & fire the gun by trigger alone. Ditto on the P99 as the trigger reverts to true DA mode when it's decocked.

Most striker fired guns require at least a partial cycle of the slide to reset the striker. Most do not have to be cycled far enough to actually eject the round though and some require very little slide movement to accomplish this...