Strange Serial Number - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Strange Serial Number

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would not touch it. I would contact colt but I doubt that Colt would ever release a gun like that. Colt provided the complete history on two of my antique Army Colts but for a very hefty charge.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

I am talking out my butt as I have no clue, but if it were old enough, could it be documented with an FFL as a collectors item? Of course you would probably need some sort of history on the firearm as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It looks like that 4 used to be a 1.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #14

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
It looks like that 4 used to be a 1.
4? What 4?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #15

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Colt logo faked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there are a lot of colt fakes out there where people try to take a common reciever like a ithaca and try to fake a colt serial to mate upp with a colt upper to sell for more money.

its obviously a pre-68 so serial number isnt technically required depending on your state. but it does have an altered serial number and thats against fed rules regardless of date.

if your interested in buying it for a cheap price, less than 450$, contact colt and see what they say about it.

personally i wouldnt touch it.
Here is the Colt logo, does it look faked?
dsc04551.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #16

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

In the time before 1968 the serial numbers had no legal meaning at all. The serial numbers(if even used) had meaning only to the manufacturer(and military if it was a military gun). The manufacturer or anyone else could do anything they wanted to the serial number on a gun. The restamping on this gun is fairly poorly done(unlikely done by any manufacturer). Could have been done by a gunsmith or owner for some unknown reason or (in later years) by someone trying to "hide" a stolen gun. Now that it has been obviously restamped it could land the person possessing this gun into possible legal trouble.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
Here is the Colt logo, does it look faked?
Even during war production colt didnt screw up stampings. Some makers like ithaca hand stamped serials so there is slight variation from gun to gun. Colt did and does all their stampings by machine using jigs so each one is the same place and same type never double stamps on logos.

I would say forgery and a very bad one at that. Likely it was a parts gun that someone tried to make into a colt

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The "0" at the end could have been a "C" at one time. That would get you charged in Texas with "Possession of Altered ID Numbers". Class A Misdemeanor, a year in the County Gray Bar Hilton.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #19

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Also understand that if this was not a commercial Colt, but a military 1911, there were many manufacturers of parts. Military 1911s that made it to retirement had possibly been rebuilt several times and could have frames from one manufacturer, and slides from another. Serial numbers could be struck over at armory level, to go along with their storage, and rack system.

The Marine Corps 1911's I had seen, often were collections of parts. Springfield slides on Colt frames were one example.

Here's a well loved example. Note that this was from a Marine armory, it has a frame that is stamped for US Army, has electro-pencil on the frame, a Springfield Armory slide, Colt commander hammer, King's beavertail grip safety and ambi safety, Pachmeyer grips, Aluminum trigger, Millet sights. Good things can come together in the hands of some military armorers.