Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Strange Serial Number (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/strange-serial-number-86071/)

redscho 03-08-2013 04:42 PM

Strange Serial Number

1 Attachment(s)
I was looking at this 70 year old Colt firearm at a gun show recently. It had a strange serial number, like it was double struck or something. Comments?:confused:

winds-of-change 03-08-2013 04:45 PM

I think something looks suspicious there.

Baxter 03-08-2013 04:47 PM

Don't think colt would send it out the factory like that, I wouldn't touch it. It's just too off. With that said, if it has been tampered with, I still can't see what the original would be. Maybe that's the point

MisterMcCool 03-09-2013 12:54 AM

Not only askew, the type appears to be in different sizes.

GeneralPatton 03-09-2013 01:54 AM

That looks like someone tried to make a 3 into an 8, and quite poorly done at that

redscho 03-09-2013 03:54 PM

More clues

3 Attachment(s)
Looking at the Colt serial number search. All civilian 1911s had a C prefix in the 6 digit serial number from 1912 thru 1950. And from 1950 to 1970 there was a C suffix in the serial number This one was not a military issue but there is no C evident in the serial number anywhere. Was there a space between the C an the 6 digits? It does not appear that any of the strike overs was over a C to obliterate it. Note that there are 7 digits in this wierd serial number. Any more ideas?

DrumJunkie 03-09-2013 05:44 PM

I'm sorry but that looks like one of thew worst serial change jobs I've ever seen. I'd not wan to be near that thing.

SSGN_Doc 03-09-2013 07:48 PM

I once had a firearm that I bought directly from the manufacturer. It had a second "A" stamped ahead of the serial number and the owner of the company explained to me that the initial run of receivers had the first 500 serial numbers duplicated. So, they had to take half of them and restrike the recivers to add an additional "A".

If that was a wartime frame made by one of the many contract manufacturers it is possible that there was a serial number overlap, that was then restruck, but that is kind of assuming a lot.

redscho 03-09-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1170092)
I once had a firearm that I bought directly from the manufacturer. It had a second "A" stamped ahead of the serial number and the owner of the company explained to me that the initial run of receivers had the first 500 serial numbers duplicated. So, they had to take half of them and restrike the recivers to add an additional "A".

If that was a wartime frame made by one of the many contract manufacturers it is possible that there was a serial number overlap, that was then restruck, but that is kind of assuming a lot.

The frame bears the Colt logo. There must be some Colt experts on this forum that can shed some light on this.

JonM 03-10-2013 05:24 AM

there are a lot of colt fakes out there where people try to take a common reciever like a ithaca and try to fake a colt serial to mate upp with a colt upper to sell for more money.

its obviously a pre-68 so serial number isnt technically required depending on your state. but it does have an altered serial number and thats against fed rules regardless of date.

if your interested in buying it for a cheap price, less than 450$, contact colt and see what they say about it.

personally i wouldnt touch it.