Strange question for you all - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Strange question for you all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 264 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 21

WebleyFosbery38:

I have seen and handled, but never had the pleasure of firing, one of these, in .455 caliber.

It, along with many revolver systems over the years, were sort of "dead end" experiments. But their inventors sure created some mighty interesting stuff for us latter day gun buffs!

Bob Wright

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3066 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 1903

c3 - You are a BAMF!! Love the response & THANKS! LMFAO

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #23

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Gosh, I couldn't help but chime in on this one cause I have a little experience with one of the two Semi Automatic Revolvers made, The Webley Fosbery!

The only time you need to pull the hammer back is the first round, from then on both the reload and the recocking of the hammer are done via a recoil assisted mechanism. The entire upper receiver group slides back about 1/5" rotating the cylinder and recocking the weapon in one motion then a spring moves it forward again.

The big gain is no trigger pressure whatsoever, its feather light touch and the reload is fast. It was very popular for target shooting, very accurate and smooth and even won some Olympic Competitions.

The big loss is loss of power of the round producing that heavy mechanical action. Another problem was it could fail to fully cycle if you had a limp wrist or it had even a little sand or dirt in the mech. Personally, Ive never fired another weapon like it and Ive had my fun with lots of Military and civilian pieces over the years.

Funny, says its and Automatic on the side but its just a Semi, as fast as you pull the trigger it fires X 8 and no faster. Fun gun!
Very cool...

From what I've seen, term "Automatic" was misused in advertising many semi auto platforms... I believe Colts pistols were all advertised as "Colt Automatic Pistols".... Hence the namesake of the cartridge named for it...

ACP... Automatic Colt Pistol...

Tack

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6695 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Very cool...

From what I've seen, term "Automatic" was misused in advertising many semi auto platforms... I believe Colts pistols were all advertised as "Colt Automatic Pistols".... Hence the namesake of the cartridge named for it...

Tack
Thats what my WF38 takes, 38 ACP. Not much kick, not much stopping power either but an elegant weapon. Dirty Harry would be proud to carry one in a parade but might not have wanted one against the Black Hats!

Bob, Im sorry you didnt get to shoot the 455, they were a bit punchier than the 38, sold many more of those than the 38's and even ended up converting their dead stock to .455 trying to sell them. Im glad they did cause it made mine one of two left in the world and thats why I had to sell it, cant afford expensive toys to be locked in a safe and once I found out what it was worth, I wasnt going to shoot the damn thing!

The WF was a futuristic design that came out just a little too late. The heyday of the Revolver was already gone, solid body pieces were much more desirable for lots of reasons, Quick Magazine reloads and reliability in combat being the two biggies.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Evolution? Law enforcement agencies with poorly trained shooters. When you have a very light trigger pull, they shoot without meaning to. The DAO pistols generally have a much heavier trigger pull.

Makes it harder to shoot yourself in the ass when returning pistol to holster.

Hence the NY1 and NY2 triggers for Glocks that increase trigger pull force. Like this: http://www.glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm

Can see picture here:
http://www.glockstore.com/glock-factory-parts/triggers/glock-trigger-spring-ny-2-orange

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #26

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Very cool...

Tack
I wouldnt say the term was misused.. Automatic referred to Automatic-loading. You didnt have to manually load each round before you shot it. (Like a Trapdoor rifle..)

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #27

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The original question has been lost in this discussion. Please don't describe what DA and SA are, that is not the question. So here it is again:

In a DA ONLY pistol, the trigger pulls the hammer or striker, and releases the hammer or striker and it goes bang.

In a DA revolver, the trigger pulls the hammer and releases the hammer and it goes bang.

Why is the pistol a SEMI-Auto and the revolver isn't? Don't describe gas pressured ejected spent cartridges and reloading blah blah blah.

With the pull of a trigger, as long as there are unspent rounds in the gun, each gun does the same exact thing.

Why is the pistol a semi-auto and the revolver is not?

12FRETTER

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #28

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Duplicate post

Last edited by therewolf; 03-18-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #29

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow. I don't know how to be any more clear when I say:

This discussion is NOT ABOUT an SA pistol. It is ONLY ABOUT DAO....SAME AS A REVOLVER.

I don't need an explanation of what SA means, I know what it means. But I am ONLY referring to a DAO pistol.

12FRETTER

Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe the auto ejection of spent cases?

I have often heard the term "auto-loader" applied to a semi-automatic pistol; maybe the "auto" part relates to putting the cartridge in the chamber or firing position?

Alternately, I would have to go with the standard "it's a bear plot".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.