Story of an attempted home invasion....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Story of an attempted home invasion....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Story of an attempted home invasion....

About eight or ten years ago, a lady told me this story. She was about eighty years of age at the time, and was swapping a Ruger Super Blackhawk in for a Smith & Wesson, don't know which model she ended up buying.

She told us, Mrs. Faulk, the proprietortress of East Park Sporting Hardware, and me, that she had recently been widowed. Her husband had left her that Super Blackhawk, showed her how to use it, and placed it in a drawer in a hall table at the entrance.

One night she heard someone at her front door, and peering out saw a hulking figure of a man at her front door. She went to the entry and got the .44. As she did so, the man kicked in her front door, frame and all. He stood there momentarily and bellowed, as she put it. She pointed the Ruger at him and he came further toward her. She eared back the hammer and fired one shot, the muzzle flash lighting up the room. He fell back through the door opening onto the front porch, got up and rolled and fell into her yard. She told me she was glad she didn't have to fire a second shot as the gun had reared up over her head. Her attacker was dead when police arrived.

She was looking for something a little more controlable.

She told me she never heard the shot, just the brilliant flash in the entry hall.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5506 Times on 2874 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i think she did just fine!!

with a 44 and a superb markswoman like her you only need one!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Why I don't like the notion of double tapping. Even though you are familiar with your surroundings all it takes is one item out of place and your double tap turns into a marginal single hit. With a 357 and up the attacker is still going down. You can get back on your feet and ready to fire by the time the attacker knows which way is up.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Lotta bloodthirsty people 'round these parts but I love a story with a happy ending!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #5

Liked 2393 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 2299

No need for a double tap...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, that's an entertaining story, we can only hope it's true, if so then happy ending. There was a story running around the gunstore a couple of decades back about a reasonably young girl who had been given an old H&R 9 shot 22 revolver by her grandpa---fully loaded---this revolver sat in a part of the house for something like 15+ years when a bad man broke into her house in the middle of the day---he advanced upon her and she double-actioned all 9 rounds into his chest area at about 10 feet---he ran out of the house and made it about two houses down before he collapsed and left our mortal earth---just before he died, he said these words to the guy living next door; "The bitch shot me!" Don't you just love happy endings?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

That's awful.

That was just overkill. She was young. It was daytime. He just broke in; didn't take down the door with its frame and there's no indication there was any bellowing. If she even had to shoot I can understand a doubletap, maybe, but not all nine rounds. At point blank range? Uncalled for. Bloodlust. From which round should we consider it manslaughter? From which do we admit it was murder, outright!?

He was right: beyotch!

PS: take note and learn all you folk who argue the .22 LR is the perfect survival round.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
That's awful.

That was just overkill. She was young. It was daytime. He just broke in; didn't take down the door with its frame and there's no indication there was any bellowing. If she even had to shoot I can understand a doubletap, maybe, but not all nine rounds. At point blank range? Uncalled for. Bloodlust. From which round should we consider it manslaughter? From which do we admit it was murder, outright!?

PS: take note and learn all you folk who argue the .22 LR is the perfect survival round.
You mean one shot or two shoots is self defense and OK - but more than that goes to manslaughter - and then more than that makes it murder.?!

I don't get the reasoning here. If it was self defense to begin with, how does it change? The perpetrator's actions didn't change. The reason for defense didn't change.

If the victim is too traumatized to "hold back", why should she? Isn't dead with one or two bullets just the same dead with nine bullets? Isn't dead ... dead? Isn't the perpetrator's crime the same? Didn't he do something bad to cause this self defense? That he would push someone into shooting him - it makes a difference how many times?? Only a couple are OK? But you better start counting ...?

She is supposed to maintain her cool under this crime against her and think "No - HockaLouis believes I should conserve my bullets. ... Now try to control my panic here"

Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
You mean one shot or two shoots is self defense and OK - but more than that goes to manslaughter - and then more than that makes it murder.?!

I don't get the reasoning here. If it was self defense to begin with, how does it change? The perpetrator's actions didn't change. The reason for defense didn't change.

If the victim is too traumatized to "hold back", why should she? Isn't dead with one or two bullets just the same dead with nine bullets? Isn't dead ... dead? Isn't the perpetrator's crime the same? Didn't he do something bad to cause this self defense? That he would push someone into shooting him - it makes a difference how many times?? Only a couple are OK? But you better start counting ...?

She is supposed to maintain her cool under this crime against her and think "No - HockaLouis believes I should conserve my bullets. ... Now try to control my panic here"
It's common knowledge that if you shoot someone in the chest more than 3 times with any firearm you will be tried for manslaughter. I have made this point before and people have told me I am an idiot but that's the way it works. Self defense is stopping the attack. Once you shoot someone 3 times they usually stop, drugged or not. It's not a law it's just a rule of thumb used by law enforcement and DAs in every jurisdiction across the land.

I agree it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. The fact of the matter is your fate will be decided by 12 without extenuating circumstances.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
That's awful.

Let's see. The intruder broke into a house he had no right to be in. He was advancing toward an armed female. She fired until the firearm was empty. At this point the intruder was able to run a couple houses down until he dropped. I think she did exactly the right thing.

She fired until the gun was empty and the intruder still wasn't down. That means had he been armed he still could have shot or stabbed her. Had he been more aggressive he still could have attempted to strangle her. No, my thoughts are along the lines of what the law allows. Fire until the threat is gone, then cease fire. In my opinion the threat was still present until he either left the premises or keeled over.

HokaLouis, I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but if you weren't, I hope your loved ones know how to defend themselves. In the meantime I will continue to teach my daughter to fire until the threat ends, reload and wait for the police from a position of safety.