Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Storage

How should I store my pistols? I have a XDm9 BiTone stainless, Glock 21, Beretta M9, Sig P226 Elite (U.S.), and a Colt Lawman MKIII nickel plated .357. The colt is in a Allen gun rug lined with a cotton (wool) like material with a desiccant pack inside it, and placed in my safe with a desiccant pack in the safe. By the way, I polish the Colt with Flitz. The others are just placed in the safe without no cases. But they are oiled. (always keep them clean) Will they rust that way? I just asking because I just read about guns rusting because they are stored in a gun rug. I really don't want to ruin the colt because it was my fathers and that gun is badass. What's the best way to prevent them from rusting without having them dripping with oil? And without buying a dehumidifier for the safe since the safe is so small. Have just enough room for my guns n ammo. Thanks in advance guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Dont use the case. Just store it in the safe and keep it oiled. I use a rag and clp and keep them in the safe for frequent wipe downs. Guns should only be cased when transporting, regardless of case construction. Wool is like foam or leather it holds moisture. Great for scratch resistance crappy for longterm storage.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Wat Jon said---
Sounds like your doin OK- Just take them out fairly reguarly to admire, inspect & wipe down

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Locked in safe is good. There are simple racks for storage that are better than a case in a safe because the case can trap moisture. Here's two, my preference is the rack as the shelf hanger allows the guns to flop around too much when bumped.

Gold rods will help control moisture, and IMO, work better than dessicant alone.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Wat Jon said---
Sounds like your doin OK- Just take them out fairly reguarly to admire, inspect & wipe down
Oh I do hossfly. It's hard not too. Lol

Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I keep each one of my handguns in a soft case. I have never had rust on any of my handguns. As I do with all of my firearms I regularly take them out and inspect them and wipe them down. When I clean them I wipe the outside of the guns down with a thin coat of Hoppes 9 then wipe again with a dry cloth. The bluing on all of my guns still looks new. My guns are kept secured in a safe with a dehumidifier inside. As mentioned earlier, your guns should be just fine if you regularly take them out, wipe them down and admire them.