Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Stoeger Cougar or Baikal ? help plz! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/stoeger-cougar-baikal-help-plz-29525/)

Siraj 07-20-2010 09:45 PM

Stoeger Cougar or Baikal ? help plz!

Your opinion plzz!
I'm going to purchase a new handgun for me but i'm little bit confused which 1 is good. So i have a two options.
1st-Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm. ?
2nd-Baikal MP446 Viking 9mm (Russia) ?
Help me :)

ScottA 07-20-2010 10:13 PM

My first impression would be go with the Stoeger. And only the first impression because it's owned by Benelli. The Bailkal could be just as good if not a better gun. I'd put my hands on both before deciding.

What do you like about each, and what don't you like?

stalkingbear 07-20-2010 11:32 PM

If I had to choose between those 2, I'd jump on the Stoeger Cougar. I shot a .45 version and really liked it. It has a unique lockup in that the barrel rotates instead of tilting. The 1 I shot was extremely accurate.

sweeper22 07-20-2010 11:32 PM

I'd like to see what's behind door number three...how in the world did you arrive at these two options? Is it due to your location...Europe/Asia maybe?

For all I know both are outstanding guns. The Stoeger has a generally good reputation. Sounds like the Baikal is essentially a Russian military service pistol, so I'd imagine it's a reasonably simple, durable, reliable gun.

Buy what you like. Whatever feels best. Hopefully you have a number of options available to you.

NGIB 07-20-2010 11:49 PM

What's the gun for? Are you going to carry? What's your budget?

Hard to provide any reasonable info when you haven't given us anything to go on...

ScottA 07-21-2010 03:49 AM

I've been wondering, what is the deal with a rotating barrel anyway? What is it's purpose?

danf_fl 07-21-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 318068)
I've been wondering, what is the deal with a rotating barrel anyway? What is it's purpose?

Another way to keep the slide and barrel together while pressure in the barrel reduces to a safe level. With the rotating barrel, there is no "tip-up" of the barrel like that of most handguns, and supposedly, better accuracy.

Gojubrian 07-21-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siraj (Post 317940)
Your opinion plzz!
I'm going to purchase a new handgun for me but i'm little bit confused which 1 is good. So i have a two options.
1st-Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm. ?
2nd-Baikal MP446 Viking 9mm (Russia) ?
Help me :)

Hello Siraj and welcome to FTF. please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

My first response is I believe there are better options out there. Given just the two I would go with the stoeger because I have never heard of the other.

Siraj 07-21-2010 02:42 PM

@Scotta stoeger is a nice handgun with black finishing,famous company,great accuracy but the thing i dont like about stoeger is turkey made. @sweeper22 ya! u r right, i belongs from Asia so the prices of hundguns are very high as compair to USA. @NIGB my budget is like 400us $:confused:

CA357 07-21-2010 03:34 PM

I had the Beretta Cougar 8045 and it was a great pistol. The Stoeger is the same pistol, except it's now manufactured by Stoeger in Turkey. Beretta owns both Benelli and Stoeger.