Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Stoeger Cougar 8000F 9mm FTE's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stoeger Cougar 8000F 9mm FTE's

I have had this gun for just over one year, and I have just gone over 3000 rounds. I like everything about this gun. The weight, feel, finish, all good. My issue is FTE's. I sent it back to Bennelli, they fired two mag's with no problem. Sent it back and suggested I use only quality ammo. I have used Tulamo to Hornady and everything in between and I still have the occasional FTE. I go through at least 100 rounds each range visit, and I usually have one or two FTE's each time. Any ideas? None of the You Tube reviews I have watched have any FTE or FTF.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Welcome to the forum!
We have an "Introductions" area where we encourage new people to say "Hi".

First thing, stay away from the steel or polymer coated ammo. What may work in a standard service type handgun is not the best for yours.

Are you sure that you are not "limp wristing"? I ask because I don't know your experience.
A semi-auto is designed to allow the slide to move, and if the frame moves (with limp-wrist), there may not be enough resistance for the slide to complete its task.

Cleaning and maintenance also come into play. The rotary system makes it even more important.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I will visit the intro page. I was made aware of "limp wristing" back in 2009 when I went through a CCW class, so that's not it. As far as cleaning it's cleaned after every range visit(I go once a week). I don't use the steel case ammo, the range doesn't allow it, they don't want to sort it from the brass. Is there a cleaning process for the extractor?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I didn't read anything special in the manual about the extractor.
Clean it and dry it.
http://www.berettaservices.com/Moduli/ContentManager/publicfiles/PDF%20Manuali%20In%20Catalogo/8000%20Cougar_ING.pdf

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

The Stoeger Cougar is one excellent gun, I had one and it ate everything I fed it with no problems. On my guns I clean any dirt buildup from the extractor area carefully with a metal dental pick, then go over it with a Q-tip dipped in cleaning fluid. I sometimes wish I had never sold my Stoeger Cougar, that gun was great right out of the box.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When working with students/clients I frequently see issues of FTF or similar and we always narrow it down to technique or ammo- unless the pistol is damaged. If the pistol is damaged it will fail every time. If it is technique this will be revealed if you have your instructor or other expert fire your pistol without issue. Almost every time I work with a shooter that is having a periodic FTF problem it comes down to intermittent technique issues.

Steve

Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
When working with students/clients I frequently see issues of FTF or similar and we always narrow it down to technique or ammo- unless the pistol is damaged. If the pistol is damaged it will fail every time. If it is technique this will be revealed if you have your instructor or other expert fire your pistol without issue. Almost every time I work with a shooter that is having a periodic FTF problem it comes down to intermittent technique issues.
Thanks for the input, FTE could also come down to ammo or technique (poly coated ammo is notorious for "gumming" up the works when the firearm gets warm from shooting.)

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #8

Default Stoeger Cougar FTE

Had this exact same issue. No limp wristing and always premium ammo. Sent it to Benelli on my dime. They sent it back and said it was within tolerances. Couldn't get it to fire two consecutive shots without a FTE. Finally decided to download an armorer's manual and removed the extractor. Took a jeweler's file and knocked down the bruniton finish on the underside of the extractor claw and also in the extractor channel. NOTE: did NOT remove any metal, just smoothed out the thick finish. Took 200 rounds of mixed quality ammo out to the range. Functioned perfectly for that 200 rounds and at least 1000 rounds since then. Benelli service should have diagnosed and fixed, but live and learn.

Love all my Stoegers. 2 8000s and 1 8045. Hope you have good luck getting your issue sorted out.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I've had hor

Thanks. I've had a feeling it was in the extractor. I,too, sent mine back while it was still under warranty and they told me two different shooters shot two mags with no issue. I have gone through as many as 400 rounds without an FTE. Just the other day I had two in 100 rounds. I will try the extractor clean up and post the result.