stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum

a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The taurus is the better gun imo. I have fired stoegers and taurus's and the stoegers felt cheap, and poorly made. The taurus revolvers certainly were not colts, but for a budget revolver they are great guns. One more thing if by some stroke of misfortune you run into an angry black bear or cougar a 9mm is gonna piss em off. A jhp 357 mag will drop em.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Not a fan of Taurus myself. But I can't give you a first hand experience recommendation on the cougar. I do know that they are made on Beretta's old equipment that was purchased and moved to Turkey.

I'd consider a used Smith and Wesson .357 or even a used Smith and Wesson 9mm 39 series gun.
With good ammo the .357 isn't so seriously far ahead of the 9mm but it does have an edge. But my opinion is that most hangun calibers are compromises.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive never shot any of Stoegers handguns, but i love their shotguns

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart
a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.
The Stoeger is my choice because of the rotating barrel. Less recoil means more accuracy

Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.
can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.
well that is about the going price, as i seen a really nice Ruger 4" barreled GP100 for sale, used for $525 yesterday. you might need to do some more shopping around or save some more to get something that will serve your needs. as i said, with Taurus being hit or miss in quality, finding out it's one of the bad ones in a time of need, could have bad results for you.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

If someone gave me a Taurus I would sell it and buy a decent gun. I do have first hand experience with Taurus. I have owned two brand new. Both were defective. I will never buy another.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beretta owns Stoeger. The Stoeger Cougar is a very well made, all steel weapon. It is also offered in ,40 S&W as well as .45acp. You could do
a lot worse than the Cougar.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg