stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bugtussle,kentucky
Posts: 277
Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum

a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.

__________________
old fart is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,904
Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

The taurus is the better gun imo. I have fired stoegers and taurus's and the stoegers felt cheap, and poorly made. The taurus revolvers certainly were not colts, but for a budget revolver they are great guns. One more thing if by some stroke of misfortune you run into an angry black bear or cougar a 9mm is gonna piss em off. A jhp 357 mag will drop em.

__________________
ineverFTF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,372
Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Default

Not a fan of Taurus myself. But I can't give you a first hand experience recommendation on the cougar. I do know that they are made on Beretta's old equipment that was purchased and moved to Turkey.

I'd consider a used Smith and Wesson .357 or even a used Smith and Wesson 9mm 39 series gun.
With good ammo the .357 isn't so seriously far ahead of the 9mm but it does have an edge. But my opinion is that most hangun calibers are compromises.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Ive never shot any of Stoegers handguns, but i love their shotguns

__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart
a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.
The Stoeger is my choice because of the rotating barrel. Less recoil means more accuracy
__________________
bobdaney is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bugtussle,kentucky
Posts: 277
Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.
can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.
__________________
old fart is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.
well that is about the going price, as i seen a really nice Ruger 4" barreled GP100 for sale, used for $525 yesterday. you might need to do some more shopping around or save some more to get something that will serve your needs. as i said, with Taurus being hit or miss in quality, finding out it's one of the bad ones in a time of need, could have bad results for you.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,184
Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Default

If someone gave me a Taurus I would sell it and buy a decent gun. I do have first hand experience with Taurus. I have owned two brand new. Both were defective. I will never buy another.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
trex1310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mobile,Alabama
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Beretta owns Stoeger. The Stoeger Cougar is a very well made, all steel weapon. It is also offered in ,40 S&W as well as .45acp. You could do
a lot worse than the Cougar.

__________________
NRA Life Member / Vietnam Vet
Certified in laziness
Certified in watching TV
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
trex1310 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Stoeger model 2000 semi auto 12 guage MrWray General Shotgun Discussion 36 07-11-2012 12:30 PM
what should i get !!!!!!!!! stoeger cougar or taurus pt 809 !!!!!!??????? chad2 General Handgun Discussion 14 04-15-2012 06:59 PM
Taurus M72 22 Magnum 12fretter .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 11-28-2011 12:37 PM
Taurus Tracker .22 Magnum fatmidgets .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 11-26-2011 09:03 PM
.380 Auto VS .22 Magnum Revolver ninjatoth General Handgun Discussion 32 07-14-2010 07:36 PM