Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/stoeger-9mm-auto-taurus-357-magnum-67371/)

old fart 06-30-2012 04:02 PM

stoeger 9mm auto or taurus 357 magnum
 
a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.

ineverFTF 06-30-2012 09:05 PM

The taurus is the better gun imo. I have fired stoegers and taurus's and the stoegers felt cheap, and poorly made. The taurus revolvers certainly were not colts, but for a budget revolver they are great guns. One more thing if by some stroke of misfortune you run into an angry black bear or cougar a 9mm is gonna piss em off. A jhp 357 mag will drop em.

SSGN_Doc 06-30-2012 09:55 PM

Not a fan of Taurus myself. But I can't give you a first hand experience recommendation on the cougar. I do know that they are made on Beretta's old equipment that was purchased and moved to Turkey.

I'd consider a used Smith and Wesson .357 or even a used Smith and Wesson 9mm 39 series gun.
With good ammo the .357 isn't so seriously far ahead of the 9mm but it does have an edge. But my opinion is that most hangun calibers are compromises.

MrWray 06-30-2012 10:59 PM

Ive never shot any of Stoegers handguns, but i love their shotguns

bobdaney 07-01-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart
a few months ago i posted on getting a new gun, i decided to wait to see if i could put a few more dollars back and look at other guns. well next week i'll get the gun and i have narrowed it down to two, its the stoeger couger 9mm or the taurus 65 in 357 magnum. i would like to know for my intended purpose which would be the overall better gun? i will open carry here in kentucky when i'm out walking where i live which is a rural area, and i'll be taking it in the woods hiking and camping. the biggest threat will be feral dogs or coyoties, with a possible black bear which is rare and a wild hog which is starting to be more numerous as several were killed last deer season, the two legged vermin are always a threat and hiking you don't know what you'll walk up on. there were couger tracks seen within 60 miles of me and a few people swore they seen the cat but the KDFW only confirmed tracks not the animal. as for coyoties and dogs, around here they are beginning to worry me. this past turkey season i had to kill two dogs that were a threat and a coyotie that came to my call dropped low and its hair stood up on its back and started snarling at me when i stood up to run it off so i wouldn't scare the turkeys. i had to kill it too, so which would be the best overall gun? i've handled both and they both fit my hand, thanks for any help.

The Stoeger is my choice because of the rotating barrel. Less recoil means more accuracy

Axxe55 07-01-2012 09:38 PM

with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.

old fart 07-02-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 855635)
with Taurus's hit or miss QC, personally i would pass on the Taurus. i say, and i own a Taurus revolver in 44 Mag., and it's a great gun but also an older one. i would pass on the Stoeger, because of the caliber. 9mm isn't near big enough for black bear or even a larger hog.

with not knowing how much you have budgeted, i would say to even look at a used revolver in 357 Mag. if you shop around you should be able to purchase a nice used Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.

can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.

Axxe55 07-02-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 855804)
can't afford a used ruger or smith around here, a used gp 100 i found was $475 and a used smith was the same. that was at two seperate shops, i've called all shops in a 60 miles radius and none have any good used guns just the cheap companies. all well known well built brands are mostly new ones.

well that is about the going price, as i seen a really nice Ruger 4" barreled GP100 for sale, used for $525 yesterday. you might need to do some more shopping around or save some more to get something that will serve your needs. as i said, with Taurus being hit or miss in quality, finding out it's one of the bad ones in a time of need, could have bad results for you.

Rick1967 07-02-2012 01:01 AM

If someone gave me a Taurus I would sell it and buy a decent gun. I do have first hand experience with Taurus. I have owned two brand new. Both were defective. I will never buy another.

trex1310 07-02-2012 02:57 AM

Beretta owns Stoeger. The Stoeger Cougar is a very well made, all steel weapon. It is also offered in ,40 S&W as well as .45acp. You could do
a lot worse than the Cougar.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.