Stockpile. What your limit? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Stockpile. What your limit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

My personal recommendation is... find out what you'd normally use in all your guns if you shoot regularly for a year, then double it.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

DHS has set a reasonable storage limit of 2.4 Billion rounds. I say that's a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
If you have no more storage for ammo would it be okay to seal it in a zip lock bag and put that into some sort of waterproof container and bury it? Wil the ammo rust due to humidity? Will the ammo still b good?
You can make your own ammo packs by using a kitchen Seal-a-Meal, rolls of food storage plastic and O2 absorber packs.

Place loose rounds or boxes of ammo in a single layer inside the bag. Throw in a 2-3 oz O2 absorbent packet. Seal the bag with the Seal-A-Meal. Presto! You've made your own battle packs! Adjust number of rounds or boxes to make the weight and size convenient for you. Add an inventory card in the bag that can be read through the plastic for your convenience at identifying ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
My personal recommendation is... find out what you'd normally use in all your guns if you shoot regularly for a year, then double it.
This is a great idea! Determine how much you shoot a year, then decide how long you want to be able to shoot at that rate and not have to buy ammo. Two years is good enough for some, five for others.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I read a post on a similar topic once and they stated that their rule of thumb was to stock the dollar value equivalent of that particular firearm, in that caliber ammo. So for a $600 9mm, $600 worth of ammo. I didn't think that made too much sense when I first read it nor do I do now. I think whatever you can afford and can safely store works. But as a rule of thumb at least a few hundred for each firearm, even if one owns multiple firearms in a particular caliber. The only exception is .22 since its so much less expensive and will be shot at EVERY range session I prefer to have a few thousand of .22LR.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
I read a post on a similar topic once and they stated that their rule of thumb was to stock the dollar value equivalent of that particular firearm, in that caliber ammo. So for a $600 9mm, $600 worth of ammo. I didn't think that made too much sense when I first read it nor do I do now. I think whatever you can afford and can safely store works. But as a rule of thumb at least a few hundred for each firearm, even if one owns multiple firearms in a particular caliber. The only exception is .22 since its so much less expensive and will be shot at EVERY range session I prefer to have a few thousand of .22LR.
Dollar amount per caliber? For cheap .22s that's not enough rounds...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1369 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 598

There's no logical reason I can think of to limit how much ammo you have. There are plenty of logistical reasons why you can only have so much ammo, mainly related to cost and storage concerns, but no logical reason whatsoever.

It's kinda like asking if you can have too much gas for your vehicle.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #46

Liked 434 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

Different calibers , rounds, cost and weapons make it hard to nail down a good number. I figure a good rule of thumb is to get as much in dollar cost in ammo, as your rifle cost.

This prevents you from going for crazy number for super expensive ammo and also adjusts for the low cost and training nature of 22LR etc

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 08-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1440 Posts
Likes Given: 4140

Quote:
I can no longer count my Ammo.
Do what i do, count the pallets.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #48

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post

better put an xtra layer of aluminum foil in your hat...
Isn't that wat they said when we said theyre spying on americans lol