Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Stockpile. What your limit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Stockpile. What your limit?

I was thinking what a good cut off point in my Gathering up 9mm and 22lr. In California if that matters.

What do you hold? And how long is it good for ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Limit? What limit? Does not compute.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I guess I would stop when there are too many ammo cans in the garage for the wife to get her van in.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Liked 739 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Going to go and see what we have stockpiled, will report back. But it is tough to save it up when you have your own range, can just walk out back, and shoot anytime you want.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I've posted pictures of my ammo locker before but this one was taken this morning so its up to date. I do have around 300 44 mag lead bullets sized and lubed so those will be loaded in a couple of days. Ammo is kinda like guns. If you know how many you have, you don't have nearly enough.

img_3532.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Going to go and see what we have stockpiled, will report back. But it is tough to save it up when you have your own range, can just walk out back, and shoot anytime you want.
11 bx 12ga
9 bx 9mm
6 bx 45acp
4 bx 45c
2 bx .22
10 bx .556
10 bx 30-30
1 bx .357
3 bx .44
1 bx .40

She keeps ammo in an old fridge...lol. Very organized. Which is kind of surprizing........

Last edited by rn-cindy; 08-21-2013 at 01:33 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1628 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 804

stock piling, whose stock piling????
Who in their right mind would 'tell the world' how much ammo or guns you have??????
This 'intel' you should not make 'PUBLIC'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Who in their right mind would 'tell the world' how much ammo or guns you have??????
better put an xtra layer of aluminum foil in your hat...

People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

When I first started buying ammo I think I went overboard on my goals.

In general you cannot have "too much" ammo but you also shouldn't actively work at stockpiling more than you'd be able to easily move. If things really were to SHTF what you have is a large stockpile you'll be leaving behind.

I'll keep this limited to pistol calibers given the forum, but my PERSONAL rule of thumb (Your needs, preference, situation, region may vary) is

300 rd. of .45 ACP
500 rd. of 9mm Luger
500 rd. of .22 WMR
5000 rd. of .22 LR
300 rd. of .380 ACP

Originally I think I was going for 1000 rounds of .45 and 15000 rounds of .22 LR. I think I was way overboard and after consideration it didn't make sense. A lot of people think if things really do go to hell they can use bullets for barter. That's a nice theory but at a certain point bullets may become too valuable to trade.

Getting off the paranoid fantasy for a moment, even for a situation where you have to bug out temporarily, the situation doesn't change. Too much ammo means something gets left behind.

Now, the reason why I am still looking at 5000 rounds of .22 LR is because I shoot it more than anything else. If we hit another ammo shortage I want to be able to still go to the range. My range trips have been limited due to circumstances but I still dipped down to 2000 rounds of .22 until I was able to find rounds again.

I would say look at your situation and in general what you use the gun for. My primary handgun is a .45 ACP. 300 rounds means 30 magazines worth of ammo. I actually own 3 magazines, which means I'll only have 30 rounds on tap, but I can reload each one 10 times before I run out. Seems reasonable. Is it enough for a long-term situation? Probably not, but I can't plan for everything.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You are an active member on a gun forum, with over 1400 posts....I think its safe to assume that you have guns, and ammo...If your really concerned about what people know, you should log off, and destroy your hard drive.....

People Like This