Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Sterling Arms .22? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/sterling-arms-22-a-10836/)

RyanHill 02-12-2009 05:20 AM

Sterling Arms .22?

I received a Sterling Arms .22 "pocket" pistol as part of an inheritence. I believe it's a model 302 from what I've researched. I can't seem to find much at all about the company, or a manual or anything about the gun. I'd like to take it apart and clean it but have no idea how? Anything on this gun or the company would be great info, thanks!

RyanHill 02-13-2009 09:12 AM

Looks like nothing...

robocop10mm 02-13-2009 01:43 PM

Sterling pistols seemed to be pretty good quality pieces. A friend had a stainless .380 that worked well. As far as disassembly, I would not have a clue w/o a pic or two, sorry.

BillM 02-13-2009 03:00 PM

Stereling Arms. Made in Lockport and Gasport NY at different
times. Fairly solidguns, made from real metal. IIRC the 302 is
stainless?? Or is the 302 the blued model?

Field stripping. Going from a long ago memory here, but I
believe it goes like this:

Remove magazine, make sure gun is unloaded.
At the rear of the slide there is a round thingy that
is flush with the rear of the slide.
I don't remember if it has a "cocked indicator" hole in it or not.
Using something that won't mar the finish, push the round
thingy toward the muzzle.
With it pushed in, lift the rear of the slide up.
Release the tension on the round thing, carefully--it's
under tension from the striker spring.

Remove slide forward off of frame/barrel.

When you fire it, don't grip it too hard. You will flex the grip panel and
bind the transfer bar.

Sterling made a bunch of different stuff--I've got a 10" 44 mag
top break single shot pistol that's a Sterling. Model is Xcaliber.

1gr8skot 02-18-2009 08:48 PM

Cleaning 302 Sterling Arms

Be sure that the gun is not loaded, remove magazine and any cartrides from chamber. Point gun in a safe direction and pull trigger on an empty chamber. Push Disassembly Button which is located at the rear on the left hand side of the reciever just below the slide grooves. The hammer block mechanism will then pop to the rear disassembly position. Using the left hand, pull the slide to the rear and at the same time exerting an upward pressure. The slide mechanism will reach a lift-off position, at that time, allow slide to move slowly forward until it disengages the gun.

Note if gun has not been cleaned and has been left cocked firing pin spring and follower may be under pressure and may pop out of gun while removing slide.

When reassembling the gun push hammer block all the way in. Make sure that it locks in position and disassembly button pops out. Work slide action several times to be sure hammer block is locked in.

Good luck with it, I have owned mine since 1981 and watch out that your thumb does not git nicked by slide when firing, very small grips

carlosfromthekeys 07-03-2009 04:44 AM

Got papers on the model 302-22 cal.

I can send copies to who ever needs the diagram and parts list.I just got the gun from a friend. He has never shot the gun hard to believe but very true.STERLING ARMS CORP.LIMITED WARRANTY AND INSTRUCTION AND SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS FOR MODEL 300-25 CAL.AND MODEL 302-22 CAL.in the box.There is a breakdown diagram of the gun its very helpfull.Send me where you want me to send it to.TANK YOU.

carlosfromthekeys 07-03-2009 04:50 AM

Hey Ryanhill if you need diagram of this gun.I have and original diagram i can send you a copy.Just let me know were to send to.

kz906l 07-06-2009 03:51 AM

I also have a model 400 .380 semi-auto pistol. I purchased it in the early eighties and it has only see about 25 rounds go through it. I recently re-discovered it and found that it is a nice shooting pistol. I'm now trying to find some extra magazines. Any clues as to where I could find them.

General_lee 07-06-2009 08:48 PM

I used to have a Sterling arms .25, I've heard they were good guns but the one I had would jam every shot

Dri-Wash 07-13-2009 10:00 PM

New here,,,reading about your sterling....I have had one for 15 years. It is the 302 .22cal....have no problem with it firing. It is a nice pocket back-up weapon.

I do have one issue, it is with the safety... seems that the safety disengages very easy....does anyone know how to add more positive pressure to the safe position?

Tom