steel challenge

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > steel challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm planning to enter my first steel challenge competition.does anyone have any suggestions on how prepare for it?

Last edited by chrisC78; 05-26-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Dry fire practice. Dry draw + dry fire. And aim at one target first, then transition to another and dry fire.

Depending on the capacity of the gun you're shooting, (say, a 6-shot revolver) you may want to slow down just a little and be very sure of your hits. Reloads take a lot of time.

Steel challenge is a lot of fun. Relax and have a great time.

ETA: Where are you shooting it?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Right on.

Practice mentally, physically even if you don't dry fire -- go through the motions. Over and over, even if it's just with your finger. Buzzer. The draw. Keep the basics down pat. You'll feel funny saying "bang" when you think you are on target, but do it. Slow is fast!

You won't win, place or show this time. But get this first try out of the way, safely. You'll see how much fun it is and how quickly you speed up down the road, and amaze yourself...

And keep eye protection on at all times please!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Listen to the Range Officer.

If you have a question on a course of fire, ask before getting into the "Ready" position.

A miss of a target adds time to your score that you will never be able to recover, so be sure to hit all.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips! I'll have plenty of time to practice, fire season is heating up so its gonna be awhile till I can do it...when I do I'll be shooting at the sports men's park in Keno OR

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You might also check out a blog called/by Mr. Completely. He shoots a lot of steel challenge, and he's in your general region. He writes about shooting his local matches in Puyallup, WA, which isn't that close to you, but he probably knows about a lot of the matches throughout that region. It might be worth dropping him an email or comment.

ETA: Why don't I post a link?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs