Steam Clean
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Steam Clean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1284 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Steam Clean

A range nearby has a deal for ten visits for $75 (no restrictions on when). Walk in and pay is $10. With this, when the card is through you can get your gun steam cleaned as part of the deal.

I have no clue what a steam clean entails, and if it has value.

I am sure someone in this worthy group can educate me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you would need to give the gun an oil bath afterward to prevent rust

Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

if your gun need that kind of cleaning, first learn to clean it regularly yourself. some good common sense regular cleaning will negate this steam cleaning stuff. If then it is THAT dirty, find a shop or gunsmith who can Ultrasonic clean it for you.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner. take the grips off, disassemble the gun, non-amoniated cleaner for 10-20 minutes. rinse with water, yes I said water, shake dry and then 20 minutes in the ultrasonic oil bath and the ultrasonic will put oil in places where oild hasn't been since it left the factory. totally displaces the water EVERYWHERE on the gun and the loose parts. Re-asemble and presto.

Get the range membership but pass on the steam cleaning.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would ask others who have actually done it and see how it went. I'm curious as well, first thing I thought of was rust. However, if they offer it and folks are doing it, then it most likely won't cause rust.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I would ask others who have actually done it and see how it went. I'm curious as well, first thing I thought of was rust. However, if they offer it and folks are doing it, then it most likely won't cause rust.
Got a dentist around here offering 50% root canals, but i still wont do it....

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
Got a dentist around here offering 50% root canals, but i still wont do it....
That would make an awesome Halloween gift for an annoying office neighbor. I wonder if they have gift certificates?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

something sounds disastrously wrong about steam cleaning. its not a business suit. maybe they steam it with something other than water... i would definately learn more about that process before letting them do it to my firearms.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Water is not inherently evil. Prescribed (Read "Official") procedures for the highest-tech avionics components exposed to sea water is to flush them thoroughly with fresh water, and then bake them in a warm oven. Remove the electrolyte, and you eliminate corrosion. Also, metal does not absorb oil, in case that fallacy is still going around. Sorry, I read it here once and thought WTF?
If it's pressurized steam-cleaning, it isn't going to hurt anything as long as the parts are dried. Heat, in and of itself isn't necessarily mechanically superior to a good scrubbing with a brush. Try cleaning your rims with a tea pot, and then take a toothbrush to them. I'd be more prone to an ultrasonic cleaning in PD-680 dry cleaning fluid, because of the solvent being agitated.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1284 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I clean my guns after every range session, I look at it as cheap insurance. I don't have a clue as to what they do for a steam clean, and neither did the kid who told me about the deal. I will try to ask the gunsmith that is at the range and see what he says it is. I expect I will buy the range card, as it is useable at all times, including week ends and holidays. The thought of a steam clean for a handgun seemed strange. I expect to go this weekend with my daughter so she can try out her new SR9 and I will ask just what it consists of.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #10

Default Steam clean

I use stem cleaner it on my mosin nagant's barrels to get rid of corrosive powder, after that a some oil & wipe routine and presto.

I also use it to clean my jewelry; which is something I learned at the flea market awhile ago.

Haven't used on my pistols but sound like a good idea.

Here a 7.62x54r with glow-on ghost sights

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 10-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.