Stay AWAY from the Sig Mosquito! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Stay AWAY from the Sig Mosquito!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

One of my friends bought a Sig Mosquito and had the same problem. He did some online research into this and discovered that this gun shoots just fine with the CCI Mini Mags. He bought some of this ammo and sure enough, his gun cycled just fine. My Ruger MarkII has never had a problem shooting any ammo I have tried in it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

Liked 44 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have put around 800 rounds through my Mosquito. They are definetly picky on ammo. CCI minimags have been flawless, federal auto match as well. I had one FTE in 50 rounds of Blazers I ran through it. I have had a few stove pipes and a few FTE's with federal bulk. So total I have had about 8 malfunctions of some sort with the cheaper ammo out of 800 rounds. Not bad IMO.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
I purchased a SIg Mosquito with a threaded barrel and night sights in anticipation of my suppressor which is forthcoming as the NFA crowd checks and rechecks me. Go ahead nothing to hide!

Anyhow, I take my lovely 17 year old daughter with me to the range the previous week she shot my Walther P-22 with several different brands no problems at all a few duds you know .22lr. Well I get a box of Tactical .22 lr and show her the new guns she starts shooting. FTF, FTF, FTE, DBLFD, you name it. So I pick up the pistol. 2 mags no failures, jambs runs perfect. She starts again FTF, FTF, FTE, same same same. So I watch her closely. Her hand was positioned a little low and her thumbs were placed nonchalantly on the sides. I teach hands high, thumbs up on the slide. She grips the gun correctly no problems at all. Great lesson in detail.

My point if the proper grip is used it allows even a finicky pistol every opportunity to run to its full potential. That being said all brands these days produce some lemons. I had a SR-9 I absolutely loved how it felt in my hands but I could not reach an understanding with it for reliability. Traded it, I won't own a gun big or small I don't trust. So it's all choice.

One last point. My mosquito had two sets of springs did you swap out the springs? Just wondering. I am not exclusive to one brand but I have had good success with lesser known brands and been burned by some favorites. To each his own.

Sorry for the dissertation!
+1
if you limp wrist this 22 it will fte all day long and you def need to change out the spring

Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the point of a .22 is economy shooting. It defeats the purpose having to choose certain ammo for it and changing springs etc.
I've had no probs with my ruger mk2 for thousands of rounds and will prob never buy another .22 pistol that isn't ruger. Or maybe the buckmark.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #15

yeah but the springs come with the sig so its not like you have to go out and buy anything

Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #16

Liked 119 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I have no time on the mosquito, one reason for that are the poor reviews on the net. I put a rail on my Ruger 22-45 and never looked back. I do have the Sig rollmarked GSG 1911-22 and did have to replace the mainspring housing and springs to get it running the way I wanted to. Stock 1911 parts from Brownells made it a shooter. Remember a friends HK4 with the .22 conversion was a problem also, maybe the Germans just don't get .22s.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The newer Mosquito models run well from what I hear. A friend of mine has one and it's been great for him. I have an older one and it's a piece of crap. No ammo I have tried, including MiniMags, runs well. If I run it wet, it averages 1 malfunction per magazine. It gets worse from there. I'm keeping my eyes open for a gun buyback program that doesn't exclude .22s.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #18

local shops wont take it on a trade? I mean I have a Raven 25 and one of the shops here said they would give me 100 towards trade for that lil pos

Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #19

Liked 246 Times on 180 Posts

Can't stand a piece that I have to buy certain brand of ammo for. Got last once for saying this but it is how I view firearms. If it won't feed everything then something is wrong with it. I guess I have been lucky all mine feed great, yes I have had the occasional jam but few and far between it's gonna happen sometime just shouldn't be all the time.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #20

the only thing that should never jam is a wheel gun and if it jams just walk away and never pick up another gun lol