Stay AWAY from the Sig Mosquito!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Stay AWAY from the Sig Mosquito!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
AZL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Stay AWAY from the Sig Mosquito!

I bought my daughter a "Raspberry" Sig-Sauer Mosquito for her 8th birthday.

It was the one she picked out...I was steering her toward a Browning BuckMark, or a Ruger MkIII.

Anyway....the day came, we took it out to the range on the back 40 acres of my home, and with 6 different types of .22lr ammo....the pistol would NOT fire through one magazine without multiple failures. FTF, FTE, FT-Fire....the whole gamut of stoppages and failures.

This was with EVERY type of ammo. I cleaned it repeatedly. I made sure it was properly (not overly) lubricated.

I was not terribly concerned at first, figuring that it would take a hundred or so rounds to break in....but after well over 250 rounds....it only got worse.

I contacted Sig...and got a big bunch of BS about "Sig quality....horse **** horse **** horse ****...."

So....I took it back to the shop where I purchased it (new), and the owner who loves me as I have bought literally tens of dozens of firearms from them over the years. She took it back, and swapped me out for a minty 6" Smith & Wesson 622.....which functions PERFECTLY.

So, in speaking with people whop have purchased the Mosquito all say the same thing...IT SUCKS.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, you haven't spoken to me & i owned two
BOTH ran perfectly with CCI Mini Maqs
FWIW i relly don't think you should tell everyone to stay away from anything just because you had a bad experience with whatever------You can most certianly express your opinion tho

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 04-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

There is at lest one bad apple in every bag.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Well, you haven't spoken to me & i owned two
BOTH ran perfectly with CCI Mini Maqs
FWIW i relly don't think you should tell everyone to stay away from anything just because you had a bad experience with whatever------You can most certianly express your opinion tho
I, like Hossfly have ran CCI Minimags through my wife's "raspberry" Mosquito and 200 rounds later still no issues. She loves the gun as do I. Sorry to hear your experience sucked with yours.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

A bad one can get out, regardless of manufacturer. It's how they take care of it that counts & Sig ignoring your problem is the worst part of your story. Sounds to me like if you buy a Sig & get a good one, as many do, you are okay. If you get a bad one, should have bought a Raven.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5682 Times on 2969 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Ive got one of the pink ones too while mine runs everything fine its just got an aweful trigger.

They ship with two springs and need to be cleaned before shooting the first time.

The chambers of 22lr guns need to be free of oil grease and debris.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

AZL.. I have had mine for 3 years now.. I love it! The break-in period was around 500 rounds. CCI mini-mags are pricey for .22s but well worth it. I have a ftf or fte maybe once every 100 rounds.. Well in the norm for a .22 semiauto. Sorry you had such bad luck!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am glad some of you got good ones. This one was JUNK...and one gun, this bad, with that kind of hestafoit (horse ****) from Sig (whose pistol I carried on duty for several years)will make ne say STAY AWAY. If they would have even made a second rate attempt at customer service, I would have been better about it. 23 years as a cop, 5 of those as a primary, and advanced firearms instructor...I have run just about every type of firearm that ever came up for evaluation...and even so-called "junk" pistols with horrible reputations ran better than this one. IF you could call being a non-working POS "running" at all. It's just really sad when a Mfr like Sig will be that bad at CS and production. So, I stand by it...I will STAY AWAY FROM the Mosquito...or get a can of RAID. I can't wait for Glock to bring out their own darned .22 (which is a dream like the Glock carbine...LOL)

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #9

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Had the same problem with my friends. It would only run if it were dripping wet. I tend to stay away from them, and I here the same from others.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I purchased a SIg Mosquito with a threaded barrel and night sights in anticipation of my suppressor which is forthcoming as the NFA crowd checks and rechecks me. Go ahead nothing to hide!

Anyhow, I take my lovely 17 year old daughter with me to the range the previous week she shot my Walther P-22 with several different brands no problems at all a few duds you know .22lr. Well I get a box of Tactical .22 lr and show her the new guns she starts shooting. FTF, FTF, FTE, DBLFD, you name it. So I pick up the pistol. 2 mags no failures, jambs runs perfect. She starts again FTF, FTF, FTE, same same same. So I watch her closely. Her hand was positioned a little low and her thumbs were placed nonchalantly on the sides. I teach hands high, thumbs up on the slide. She grips the gun correctly no problems at all. Great lesson in detail.

My point if the proper grip is used it allows even a finicky pistol every opportunity to run to its full potential. That being said all brands these days produce some lemons. I had a SR-9 I absolutely loved how it felt in my hands but I could not reach an understanding with it for reliability. Traded it, I won't own a gun big or small I don't trust. So it's all choice.

One last point. My mosquito had two sets of springs did you swap out the springs? Just wondering. I am not exclusive to one brand but I have had good success with lesser known brands and been burned by some favorites. To each his own.

Sorry for the dissertation!