Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Star .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/star-45-a-35187/)

longrangedeath987 12-04-2010 11:45 PM

Star .45

Im looking for a star .45 do they still make them i want to get one for my dad since it was stolen 5 years ago and i cant find one if anyone has one or knows where to buy one let me know

Sniper03 12-05-2010 12:17 AM

Longrange,

Ther are a couple for sale on Gunbroker.com

CA357 12-05-2010 12:43 AM

What Sniper said. I'm having trouble posting a link, so just go to Gunbroker, hit semi-auto pistols, then input Star. There's two pages of Star pistols and at least two .45's.

longrangedeath987 12-06-2010 01:42 AM

thanks ca and sniper

ca, sniper, thanks for the info. and if ya know by any chance whats the longest shot a tikka t3 .233 has hit i apperciate that .

Sniper03 12-06-2010 03:00 PM

Longrange,

Obviously the effect of the wind is the biggest factor concerning the 223/5.56 rounds. At our schools we have had them consistently hit targets as far as 600 yards as they also do at Camp Perry Ohio in their National Competition Program. So in my opinion 600 yards would be about the farthest reliable distance for accuracy. Of course that is punching paper.They like to use the heavier weight bullets at 600. If you have a 1:12 Twist Rifle you are out of luck on shooting bullets at long range that are over 55gr. Good luck with your Star 45 project.

longrangedeath987 12-06-2010 03:13 PM

how do i know if my tikka has a 1:12 twist and is a .308 better for longer shots

Sniper03 12-06-2010 08:41 PM

Longrange,

Obviously if you have the Tika T-3 already nothing wrong with the rifle. It would depend on what you are going to use it for. Varmints, Target Shooting or just good old enjoyment. Obviously if you are going to be shooting long range mostly and or deer hunting the 308 would be the better choice. Then you must consider the slightly higher ammunition cost shooting the 308. I have shot the 308 up to 1000 yards on many occasions. Of course this is with my Remington 40X Sniper Rifle that was built in the Remington Custom Shop several years ago. Still have it after I retired. But back to your question.
To find the barrel twist of a rifle you do not know what it is. Here is one technique. The Tika 223 comes in both 1:12 and 1:8 Twist. The 1:8 twist will handle heavier bullets which would be better regarding longer range shooting. To check barrel twist here is one method.
1. Get a cleaning rod that has a ball bearing (Spinning) Handle on it.
2. I like to use what is known as a Parker Hale type tip or jag as they call it.
3. Place a 22 cal "Dry" Cleaning patch on the Jag by placing the sharp tip of the jag in one patch upper corner then twisting the Rod so the patch rolls onto the jag.
4. Start the cleaning rod and patch into the barrel from the bolt side about 4 inches.
5. Looking at the cleaning rod in the barrel look down at a 90 degree angle with any metal point and make a mark with a silver perm. marker on the cleaning rod.
6. Make a cross mark on the cleaning rod a couple of inches in front of the rod handle on the rod.
7. Hold you eye directly over the cross mark and start pushing the rod in gently.
8 When the cross rotates 360 degrees and is exactly in the same position on the rod as you started watching it
9. Place another mark on the cleaning rod using the same barrel reference pint that you used to make the first initial mark.
10. Take a tape measure or ruler and measure between the two marks on the front of the rod. That will give you the exact barrel twist.
* If the patch catches and jumps when you start pushing it down the barrel stop and start over this will give you a false reading.

If you have any questions PM Me.