Staggering JHP and FMJ

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Staggering JHP and FMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Staggering JHP and FMJ

Ok, so what is the point of staggering ammo. JHP and FMJ. What are the Benefits and are there any drawbacks is well. Thanks in advance!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 928

There are no benefits. In my younger day, before I wised up, I would do this. The thought was to have the 'penetration' of the fmc for hard targets. When I started testing bullets I found the JHP would 'plug' if they hit building material or even heavy clothing and penetrate the same as fmj, so what the point. Not to mention the hit with the fmj on human target left A LOT to be desired!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

FMJ positively functions. JHP dumps energy and doesn't penetrate as much. Staggering ammo is odd in any gun, but in a handgun!?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #4

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate913 View Post
Ok, so what is the point of staggering ammo. JHP and FMJ. What are the Benefits and are there any drawbacks is well. Thanks in advance!!
My understating:

FMJ penetrate fully and in most defensive calibers will leave two holes to bleed from, which attains death quicker and can still result in it with a shot not placed on target with an organ, head, or spine.

Many believe hollowpoints to be unproven as of yet, those would be old fuddy duddies who still talk on flip phones and think the world is flat.

Benefits to staggering is having best of both worlds, but that's only if you get enough rounds off and landed to fulfill the possibility.

Quite frankly the right round from the right manufacturer in the right caliber will accomplish all you'll need in defense. This includes 9mm and up, so to each their own from there.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks guys for the info!!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Best way to test your guns to see which hollow points do/don't feed well without burning bucket loads of high priced self defense loads.

Not a lot different than putting snap caps in the mix to practice malfunction drills.(IMPO)

Old 05-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2944 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The only round that offers significant difference in advantage to using fmj over hp ammo is in 380acp where there arent any good hp rounds capable of reliably getting to the innards of a goblin. My 380 is loaded with fmj. Bigger calibers i use hp ammo.

While fmj can get the job done why gimp yourself??

If your defensive handgun doesnt function with hp ammo you might consider trading for one that does.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JimRau Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

This was a fairly accepted practice 30-40 years ago. Hollow point ammo was unreliable and may not penetrate deeply. Modern ammo is FAR better at "controlled expansion" so a balance of expansion and penetration is now the norm.

Most FMJ ammo is TERRIBLE for defensive use. It not only punches holes, but punches holes that "self seal" and do not bleed much at all.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What about in a "woods gun" that may be used to defend against 2 and 4 legged animals?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2944 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester View Post
What about in a "woods gun" that may be used to defend against 2 and 4 legged animals?
you want hardcast lead bullets in a handgun for anti-aggressive animal use. NEVER take hollowpoints to use on a critter like a bear. if your facing down those extremely dangerous and vile pitbulls or rottweilers hollowpoints work well enough

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

bbertram Likes This