Squib - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Squib

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I always take a cleaning rod (long enough for the barrel of any firearm with me) when I shoot at the range.

Once, I had some factory that had my 9mm acting like a black powder firearm.
Click........bang.......

The biggest problem was not knowing when the bang would come after the click of the hammer hitting firing pin.

This was ammo that was in my home defense 9mm and may have gotten contaminated by oil.
that's a hangfire! those are dangerous as well. people have been hurt and killed by hangfires.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Most of the time a squib will not function the slide and cause a jam. The tendency is to clear the jam and keep shooting and that is where you can get hurt or dead. Last week I had a round the did not eject but partially functioned the slide. I had to drop the mag, lock the slide open and check the barrel. You might notice the difference in the recoil. If the round does not eject there is a good chance it did not clear the barrel. By not eject I mean it is still in the chamber. Squibs are extremely dangerous in revolvers where the tendency is to pull the trigger again. There is no jam or malfunction to warn you. Only the recoil and report.
danf_fl; When the police were still using revolvers a range officer/instructor I knew used to make the officers fire their carry load before they could shoot practice rounds. Unbelievable how many squibs, hang fires and failures to fire there were. One of the reasons police went to shooting duty rounds to qualify.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Yeah, never actually seen one before. Seems a very unlikely thing worth modern factory loads.
I had two out of the same box of Federal. Both happened during a match while shooting my Glock 34. I immediately took some pics and sent them to Federal. They were nice enough to send me a new box free of charge.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #14

I think it might of been bad primers I had one about week early before this one. Pulled about 50 or so that we're left. they all had the same amount of powder.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Yes, it certainly can be caused by a defective primer or one that has been compromised for example someone using WD-40 on their weapons since it is a penetrating oil. Not a good gun lubricant.
But in other cases it can be caused by a short powder drop charge or in some instances no powder at all and the primer ignition drives the bullet into the barrel of the pistol.
The main thing is pay attention to your pistols and if something seems, feels or sounds different "Stop Shooting" until you check it out! Squibs can happen!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #16

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I was loading with my progressive yesterday. I loaded about 150 rounds. I noticed a load that looked low. I thought maybe it was my imagination. So I slowly watched as I did the next 5 or 6. They all looked good. Then I kept watching after a couple more good ones I spotted one that had almost no powder. I don't take chances. I used my bullet puller and dissasembled every round that I made.

I had a squib round when I was working up a .32 acp load for an old Iver Johnson revolver that shoots .32 S&W Long. I was expecting it though. I was making it as light as possible to avoid blowing up the gun. After about 5 or 6 trys I made good ammo for it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Yeah, never actually seen one before. Seems a very unlikely thing worth modern factory loads.
happens in all ammo. mistakes happen or in the case of remington ammo its the standard...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...