Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   springfield xd vs beretta (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/springfield-xd-vs-beretta-11253/)

packer105@aol.com 02-25-2009 02:52 AM

springfield xd vs beretta

i am a first time buyer im interested in the beretta 92F and the springfield xd service both in .40 anybody have any input on what would be better or pro's and con's about either and information would be greatly appreciated

Dillinger 02-25-2009 02:15 PM

Welcome Packer -

If those are your choices, I would go with the XD all day long. It's just a better overall weapon if you can get by the long trigger pull.

Beretta has fallen in love with their mystique and they haven't done much to advance some of their concepts in YEARS - not to mention their military contract has them fat, dumb and happy. Their customer service is almost non existant and the Model 96 ( which is the .40 cal version ) isn't that great of a weapon.

If you really like that design, look at the Taurus. It's the same gun, but you get a lifetime warranty.

The XD is a striker fired weapon, so you have the advantage of not having to worry about snagging the hammer on your clothes in a CCW situation. It also features an external safety on the frame, where it was intended to be in the first place. The Beretta's is on the slide, not where it was intended to be in the first place. :rolleyes:

I believe the XD has a lower profile barrel, making it closer to the hand, and therefor, more accurate for the average shooter.

The Beretta, and I am speaking from experience as I owned a 92F back in the day, will experience slide wear on the aluminum frame that will lead to a little more rattle than I personally like to see in a self defense weapon.

Beretta makes some fantastic shotguns, and they should stick to doing that. Springfield is an American Made company that has been around a long time and will probably be around for a long time to come.

I think the XD is hands down a better overall weapon and will probably save you some money in the purchase that can go towards ammo and mags, not to mention range time for practice, practice, practice...

JD

741512th 02-25-2009 02:16 PM

I've owned both and I liked both. They are equally reliable and accurate. The XD is probably cheaper. I guess the Beretta 92FS might get the "quality" nod because it is an all metal gun, but it is a small difference.

741512th 02-25-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 74899)
Springfield is an American Made company that has been around a long time and will probably be around for a long time to come.

Just to clarify; the XD is entirely made in Croatia and their 1911s are made in Brazil. However, the company itself is an American company and, in terms of customer service, that can be handy.

Dillinger 02-25-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 741512th (Post 74902)
Just to clarify; the XD is entirely made in Croatia and their 1911s are made in Brazil. However, the company itself is an American company and, in terms of customer service, that can be handy.

That's a good point - I got off on a tangent there and didn't clarify that.

Good catch...

JD

stalkingbear 03-03-2009 03:21 PM

Between those 2, get the 1 that fits YOU best. if both fit you equally, go for the Springfield Armory XD and run without looking back. I would however recommend the XDM over the XD.

J33Nelson 03-03-2009 04:16 PM

Italy versus Croatia

Do you want a Croatian handgun or an Italian handgun?? They are both good guns but I feel the XD is more modern and better gun than the Beretta. The XD was born out of war in the former Yugoslavia and has been a good service side arm while the Beretta has served American troops for a long time. I would say BUY AMERICAN and get a Kimber.

orangello 03-03-2009 04:24 PM

I have the XD45 and have wondered why they don't sell it in one of those "for dummies" packages with the yellow & black (like "windows for dummies" etc.). You don't exactly need an engineering degree to get it apart & whatnot. I like my XD45 a lot & imagine the .40 is very similar.

rjgnwdc 03-03-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J33Nelson (Post 77592)
Do you want a Croatian handgun or an Italian handgun?? They are both good guns but I feel the XD is more modern and better gun than the Beretta. The XD was born out of war in the former Yugoslavia and has been a good service side arm while the Beretta has served American troops for a long time. I would say BUY AMERICAN and get a Kimber.

Well I say Beretta if you want legendary quality built here in Accokeek, MD. virtually jam free because of the unique and timeless design you can run any ammo through this work of art and trust it will go bang, but if you are looking for Tactical Tupperware then before I even looked at XD, Beretta has got you covered there with PX4 Storm it's available in 9mm,40cal and my choice .45cal now the PX4 models are built in Italy but what the hell they been in business for over 500 years these boys know their gunmetal. Course this is my opinion I could be wrong... but I doubt it.

SGT-MILLER 03-04-2009 12:11 AM

The Beretta is a good weapon, BUT the XD design beats it in spades. The Beretta is over sized for being a 9mm, and because of the design the felt recoil is more so than something like an XD / Glock / FNP / etc....

It's all up to what fits the best in your hands in the end, though. Don't take our opinions as law or anything.