Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   A special gift from my grandpa! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/special-gift-my-grandpa-50440/)

jordan89 10-24-2011 04:44 AM

A special gift from my grandpa!

1 Attachment(s)
I made a visit to my grandparents earlier today and my grandpa surprised me with this gun. It's a raven p-25. He said that he has had it for 20-30 years and that my great grandfather had it a couple of years before him until he passed away. Im very aware of the bad reputation that this gun has had but the sentimental value far exceeds that. That being said I don't plan on shooting it often and hopefully one day I will have a son to pass this on to.

Attachment 34120

Firearms4ever 10-24-2011 04:52 AM

For most folks the sentimental value is greater than the market value. It'll make a nice heirloom.

winds-of-change 10-24-2011 06:31 AM

Lucky you. Cherish it. What gives this gun a bad reputation?

danf_fl 10-24-2011 08:41 AM

Even though a handgun can be passed on, history may be forgotten. Scribble what you know on a piece of paper with names, dates, and places.

WoC, the bad rep is from the "quality" of the manufacturing. If it were not a family heirloom, the best advice is to stay away from them. Raven Arms MP-25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

winds-of-change 10-24-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 608952)
Even though a handgun can be passed on, history may be forgotten. Scribble what you know on a piece of paper with names, dates, and places.

WoC, the bad rep is from the "quality" of the manufacturing. If it were not a family heirloom, the best advice is to stay away from them. Raven Arms MP-25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks again, DanF. So from what I read and understand, this gun is THE Saturday Night Special? I don't think I ever heard of a .25 caliber weapon.

spittinfire 10-24-2011 10:35 AM

Keep it in the family and try shooting it once in a while but outside of that I wouldn't use it for much.

neilage66 10-24-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 608956)
I don't think I ever heard of a .25 caliber weapon.

There is also a group of rifle cartridges that are affectionately known as *quarter inchers* or *quarter bores* to their devotees.

That Raven might just be a shooter (or not).
Don't know till you try.

jeepejeep 10-24-2011 01:12 PM

I bought a Raven .25 about 25 years ago because it was $65 brand new, the reviews I read about it said it was very reliable and fairly accurate for what it is and I just couldn't resist! Well, the darn thing goes bang and just plain works every time. Not too accurate past 10 feet or so but this was intended to be a "in your face" type of weapon. It's just fun to me and my kids call it "The noisy cricket"!
Yes, for you the real worth is sentimentality, so enjoy it, shoot it a bit and never let it go. Keep that little bugger in the family.

orangello 10-24-2011 01:15 PM

It is always cool to have something from your ancestors. It isn't a fancy or high-dollar weapon, but that doesn't keep it from being uncool. Maybe you could put it in a nice lil display case on the wall.

I doubt all those antique flintlocks were top-dollar firearms when purchased.

c3shooter 10-24-2011 01:18 PM

WOC- it is .25 ACP. .25 ACP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the OP- As far as the Raven, despite the inexpensive manufacturing, they actually scored high on reliability of shooting WHEN SCORED AGAINST OTHER VEST POCKET .25s. One of my Baby Hammerless .22 revolvers (22 short, 1 inch bbl, not heavy enuff to be good paperweight) belonged to Step-mom's grandmother- in her days as a Dance Hall girl. Like your Raven, the family history makes it priceless to me.

The ORIGINAL Saturday Night Special was the receiver of a breech loading rifle (Hall's breech loader). Reciever could be detached from barrel, and carried as a crude handgun when the troops went into town on Saturday night.

Inexpensive handguns, frequently of European origin, got stuck with that name. Among the lowest were the Rohm or RG revolvers, and one brand called Rosco. Yeah, that is where term originated.