Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Special Forces and 9 mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/special-forces-9-mm-56380/)

heavygargoyle 01-26-2012 06:51 PM

Special Forces and 9 mm

Why do special forces units use 9 mm instead of deadlier rounds?

cfraga1978 01-26-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavygargoyle
Why do special forces units use 9 mm instead of deadlier rounds?

From what I saw over in afgahastan regular army units carry m9 (9mm) the special forces guys I worked with, carried .45s and others. I talked to the special forces armorer that told me their unit can buy and use most any weapon that they want. I would say that some choose to use the 9mm in remote areas where resupply from the states is unlikely. 9mm is more available in afgahastan than .45 acp.

Jstrong 01-26-2012 07:08 PM

Who said special forces that choose their own equipment still use 9mm? I know that out of longer submachine gun barrels 9mm can actually get to very potent velocities. Which if using a 9mm sub-gun it would then make sense to also have a sidearm in 9mm.

USMC-03 01-27-2012 04:19 AM

Friend of mine is an SF weapons sergeant. He told me that for the most part they can carry what they want for sidearms. He said you'll see a pretty even number of 9mm and 45s in his unit. Anything from Glocks, to Sigs, to 1911s.

Minionsram 01-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC-03 (Post 690643)
Friend of mine is an SF weapons sergeant. He told me that for the most part they can carry what they want for sidearms. He said you'll see a pretty even number of 9mm and 45s in his unit. Anything from Glocks, to Sigs, to 1911s.

yep, sf can and will carry what is needed to get the job done, while the rest of us regular grunts are stuck with what is issued.

NickySantoro 02-11-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 690839)
yep, sf can and will carry what is needed to get the job done, while the rest of us regular grunts are stuck with what is issued.

To diverge slightly, has anyone here other than SF or other spec-ops personally ever fired a handgun in combat? Forty years ago I sometimes carried a .45 depending upon my primary weapon and never chambered a round or even drew it.

USMC-03 02-11-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickySantoro

To diverge slightly, has anyone here other than SF or other spec-ops personally ever fired a handgun in combat? Forty years ago I sometimes carried a .45 depending upon my primary weapon and never chambered a round or even drew it.

I did three tours in Iraq and was issued an M9 in addition to my rifle for all three. I used the M9 regularly while clearing small buildings and pulling guard duty with people we had detained. I only ever fired it once.

jpattersonnh 02-11-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC-03 (Post 705655)
I did three tours in Iraq and was issued an M9 in addition to my rifle for all three. I used the M9 regularly while clearing small buildings and pulling guard duty with people we had detained. I only ever fired it once.

My Nephew did 2 tours in Iraq. I wanted to send him my 1911a1 in 10mm, but the Marine corp said no way. Nothing allowed other then MC issue M9.

Marthor 02-11-2012 09:49 PM

It's possible that some special forces units use 9mm, but units all carry the same so they have common ammo. I don't know of any that don't use 45 though.

HOSSFLY 02-12-2012 12:27 AM

Special Forces pretty much carry what they want -
What makes you think the 9mm isn't a DEADLY round anyway :confused:
You one of them it's gotta be huge to do the job? :rolleyes: