Spare some advice? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Spare some advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1123 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 349

It sounds like your not 100% sure about the sig.

My advice.... get both!

Seriously though what is your main purpose for the gun? What went into your decision making process so far(why glock or sig only)?

We can offer advice but without more info we are guessing or telling youwhat we prefer.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you need to get what you REALLY want. If you don't you'll be kicking yourself in the butt until you do. Skip the heartache of buying something that you won't be satisfied with. Buy the Sig! You'll get better with it once you get used to it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #13

Sounds to me you want us to make your mind up for you. I say this because after reading your post, seems to me you really want the sig. If you practice enough with the sig, you should shoot better with it.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Like new used Sigs can be found for under $600. Go to a gun show, look for Sig dealers that are stocking "CPO" Sigs in the red plastic boxes. They're excellent guns and for my own preferences, they're a big step above Glocks.

That said, I think you need to explore other options. And I think that until those other options are explored, Glock is probably more practical than Sig for you, based on what you've already said. One of the issues I would have with a Glock 17 (were I in your shoes) is that being in California, you can't even take advantage of the capacity of a full-framed 9mm. I think that might point me in a different direction...that could be a different design (revolver, 1911, Sig P239), smaller frame (Glock 19/26), or even a larger caliber.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
SCC

Default Thanks

Wow, well you guys have definitely given me a lot to think about. First off, a lot of people questioned what exactly do I want this for, I want it for range shooting and home defense, in that order. As for thinking that the Glock is a more appropriate HD weapon, I am simply basing it on the sig DA/SA trigger system, I figure if I am under duress it will be easier to acquire my target and fire the Glock. This is just my own supposition however, not based on fact. In answer to someone's question, Yes I love Nutnfancy, it was through his guidance that I have narrowed my choices to Glock, Sig and FNP, however I have shot all of these personally, and do know that practice results in proficiency, meaning I will get better with time. In answer to someone else Yes, I do want you guys to "choose for me", that would be fantastic...
Thank you everyone for your advice, this community is outstanding I will post my decision hopefully within the next week. As I stand now I am leaning towards the Glock for affordability, but I have a very mercurial personality, I know that in my gut I want the Sig, so let the battle begin : Want vs Wallet
Thank you everyone for your help
-Sean

Last edited by SCC; 06-16-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

For me, I know what the choice would be, because I've already made it. I bought a Glock. And a couple more. And most recently, a Springfield XDM. For me, it's a matter of not liking DA/SA guns. I just want to learn one trigger pull per gun. Obviously there are plenty of people who feel differently because there are lots of DA/SA guns out there.

With all that said, I say go with your gut and get the Sig.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You know what my favorite gun is? The ones I own.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #18

To me they would both feel like christmas morning, haha. A lot of people see the Glock as one basic square design but with some features they look sweet, like a light brown duracoated grip is the most amazing look on a Glock.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #19

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
Hi guys,I am buying my first pistol, but I am having a huge problem deciding between the Sig p228/9 and a glock 17. The fact of the matter is, that the glock 17 is simply the better choice for my philosophy of use. However I am madly in love with the Sig. Help me please! Despite the fact the the Glock is lighter, simpler, single action only and most importantly half the price I cannot help but feel like I am not getting what I want. I want my first handgun to be a purchase that makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas, not, the practical logical robotic decision. I know they are the best choice for civilians and home defense, in fact the only reason I don't like the Glock is cosmetic, I think they are ugly as **** I actually (and honestly) shoot them better than the Sig even, and therein lies my problem. I am sort of considering the fnp9, since they are similar to the Sigs, but again, if I'm gonna buy a $450 gun. it might as well be a Glock right?. If someone could lend a few words I would really appreciate it. Thanks
-Sean
Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a big letdown should you get the glock.

If this is truly your first pistol you need to realize this decision is based 100% on emotion and 0% experience. Keeping that in mind, your decision is based on the advertising to the masses. Chances are this emotion based purchase will be wrong. You are buying your handgun from the endcap of the drugstore. Trust me on this one!

No pressure here but realize that should your first handgun be a mistake and it turns into a negative experience this wrong pick may end your future in shooting.

To a person, we do this because it is fun! When it's not fun, we go bowling. (Or new gun shopping!)

My advice, find some friends with guns and go shoot the snot out of them. Build your experience and find the difference between the crappy glock trigger and a true SA 1911 trigger. Find the difference between a firing pin and a striker fired weapon, Witness the felt recoil with the same caliber steel vs plastic gun.

I could go on ad nauseam, but I'll bank on you following my drift.

The more experience you build, the lighter the fall when you make a purchase mistake. We all have, and if you track like the majority of your brothers here, this is just the first of many purchase decisions.

Good luck.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #20

::Initiating Soapbox Program::

Well let me add my shiny pennies here...SCC, I had almost the same problem. I was torn between getting a Glock 17 and an Hk Usp. I bought the Glock. Didn't regret it but wasn't totally happy. I kept feeling like I was missing something. Then I bought a couple of M&P's. I liked the trigger better but still shot the Glock better. Then I got an XD. The trigger was better than the Glock AND I shot it comparably well. Then I had an epiphany...perhaps I should be concerned with improving myself instead of relying on the tool to do the work. I now have 5 pistols that I shoot well. Instead of one that works (because I like it), I have 5 that work because I look at them as an extension of my skill.

DO - Get what you want to get.

DON'T - Get bogged down in what it is.

DO - Use your choice of weapon well.

DON'T - Stop improving and evolving as person and a shooter.

::Soapbox Program terminated::

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005