Spare some advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Spare some advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
SCC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Spare some advice?

Hi guys,I am buying my first pistol, but I am having a huge problem deciding between the Sig p228/9 and a glock 17. The fact of the matter is, that the glock 17 is simply the better choice for my philosophy of use. However I am madly in love with the Sig. Help me please! Despite the fact the the Glock is lighter, simpler, single action only and most importantly half the price I cannot help but feel like I am not getting what I want. I want my first handgun to be a purchase that makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas, not, the practical logical robotic decision. I know they are the best choice for civilians and home defense, in fact the only reason I don't like the Glock is cosmetic, I think they are ugly as **** I actually (and honestly) shoot them better than the Sig even, and therein lies my problem. I am sort of considering the fnp9, since they are similar to the Sigs, but again, if I'm gonna buy a $450 gun. it might as well be a Glock right?. If someone could lend a few words I would really appreciate it. Thanks
-Sean

Last edited by SCC; 06-15-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Mistakenly posted before finished

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

What is your purpose of buy a handgun? Self-defense? Target practice?

Every handgun purchase is like buying a house. After you have it for a while, you find things you want to change.

You think the Glock is the better choice, you shoot it better, it is not as expensive as the Sig (notice I did not say "cheaper than the Sig").

IMO, get the Glock for now.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Glocks are a mishmash they are more double action only than anything else.

Get the gun your going to be happy with. A gun you dont like for whatever reason isnt going to be one your going to WANT to shoot enough to become really proficient with.

Just my thoughts

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

There are better choices for a $450 polymer frame handgun. I'm voting for the S&W M&P. Aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically correct.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
I know they are the best choice for civilians and home defense,...
Best? How did you know this? I actually believe they are great for service carry but for me, there are better choices for SD/HD.

Quote:
I actually (and honestly) shoot them better than the Sig even,
Because of this (most important IMHO)...I would say buy the Glock now...buy the Sig later

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Hi guys,I am buying my first pistol, but I am having a huge problem deciding between the Sig p228/9 and a glock 17. The fact of the matter is, that the glock 17 is simply the better choice for my philosophy of use. However I am madly in love with the Sig. Help me please! Despite the fact the the Glock is lighter, simpler, single action only and most importantly half the price I cannot help but feel like I am not getting what I want. I want my first handgun to be a purchase that makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas, not, the practical logical robotic decision. I know they are the best choice for civilians and home defense, in fact the only reason I don't like the Glock is cosmetic, I think they are ugly as **** I actually (and honestly) shoot them better than the Sig even, and therein lies my problem. I am sort of considering the fnp9, since they are similar to the Sigs, but again, if I'm gonna buy a $450 gun. it might as well be a Glock right?. If someone could lend a few words I would really appreciate it. Thanks
-Sean
Right there in bold should tell you everything you need to know....

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
-Sean
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are heavily influenced by nutnfancy based on the choice of a G17 and based on the term "philosophy of use". Stop me if I am wrong... (Oh, and there's nothing wrong with either of these things, but it's the basis for my response, so if I'm wrong, disregard).

ntf's love of all things that are light, I think, is a poor starting point for an HD gun. To me, the idea of an HD gun is the gun that you shoot the best and can put into action under stress. Why would light weight factor into this unless you're releatively small or comparitively weak that the weight of the gun is going to cause you to not shoot well?

Now, for a carry or conceal carry, weight factors in much higher because 99.9999% of the time, you'll simply be carrying the gun and not shooting it.

My opinion is get the gun that you shoot the best that you can afford. I'm in the same boat as you and my analysis has taken me from the G17 to all metal guns and then back to a polymer gun (XDM9).

Why? For me, I realized that I shoot heavier guns better than lighter guns, I loved the P226 and P229, but my wife hates them and I could not justify the cost. I shoot the XDM extremely well, my wife likes it, and it's priced right.

So, I might suggest that you keep looking to find something that has enough of what you want from the SIG and that you shoot as well or better than the G17, that's priced well enough for you the drop the hammer without a second thought. (Pun intended, unfortunately)

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
-Sean
What, exactly, is your "philosophy of use"?

After reading your post, it seems to me that the Sig isn't what you want and the Glock also isn't what you want. Instead of choosing between them, perhaps you should be crossing both off your list.

We can all tell you about our favorite guns and why we like them, but without knowing what you want from the gun, we can't really help you.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

If you really like the Sig, get it. For range shooting you will like the heavier pistols better for recoil management. Disclaimer: I am not a Glock fan. Just not for me. I do have and shoot polymer 9mm's. A XDm and Keltec P11. I also have a heavy Ruger P89 that is great for range shooting. Get what you want and will be happy with. Make sure it fits your hand well. Learn it, love it, and shoot it. Enjoy.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They are like chips; most will want a second, and a third. Get the more affordable one now and the fancy one later. Just make sure that you can enjoy the affordable one enough to practice with it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.