a sophisticated heat beam called a "laser"
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > a sophisticated heat beam called a "laser"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3232 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 2308

Default a sophisticated heat beam called a "laser"

so, who used a laser on a pistol? (or any firearm).

i'm not looking for recommendations....just curious about your thoughts on using a laser in general. are they easy to use? fast? accurate? visible?

anyone here a big fan of using lasers? anyone here think they are a waste of time and money? i have NO experience.

this video made me interested. skip to about 3:00 for the short version (4:30 for the shooting part).

Last edited by hawkguy; 08-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

couldn't resist......
File Type: jpg laser1.jpg (27.7 KB, 98 views)

Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i can see where they could be a useful training tool to help people with learning to shoot accurately.

batteries have a finite lifespan. be sad to put so much faith in something to have it not work when you needed it most.

as an aid to help improve shooting skills, or an addition to supplement your fundamental skills, i can see it being an asset. but total reliance upon a gimmick rather that learning the fundamentals of shooting and using sights, i see it as less than effective and a liability.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

this is kind of what i expected to hear. that makes perfect sense.

have you ever used them, axxe? what was your overall impression? my only experience was with a friends laser on his glock....a friend who didn't know how to sight his in.....heh.

if i got one, i would never substitute it for shooting with my standard sights. i would practice both of course. but the idea is appealing to me at the moment.

i always thought of lasers as a bit of a "toy" or "gimmicky".....but i have seen quite a few videos lately touting their use in SD....and they seem to make a good point. they seem to be very quick and you don't have to line up sights to shoot accurately (so shooting from the hip or in tight quarters might be more accurate). i could also see a laser dot on the body of a BG as a serious DETERRENT to a potential problem.

of course, the only SD options would be the models where they come on when you grip them....if you have to mess with a switch, that might be bad.

just thinking out loud here and looking for input from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself (as usual). thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i can see where they could be a useful training tool to help people with learning to shoot accurately.

batteries have a finite lifespan. be sad to put so much faith in something to have it not work when you needed it most.

as an aid to help improve shooting skills, or an addition to supplement your fundamental skills, i can see it being an asset. but total reliance upon a gimmick rather that learning the fundamentals of shooting and using sights, i see it as less than effective and a liability.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this is kind of what i expected to hear. that makes perfect sense.

have you ever used them, axxe? what was your overall impression? my only experience was with a friends laser on his glock....a friend who didn't know how to sight his in.....heh.

if i got one, i would never substitute it for shooting with my standard sights. i would practice both of course. but the idea is appealing to me at the moment.

i always thought of lasers as a bit of a "toy" or "gimmicky".....but i have seen quite a few videos lately touting their use in SD....and they seem to make a good point. they seem to be very quick and you don't have to line up sights to shoot accurately (so shooting from the hip or in tight quarters might be more accurate). i could also see a laser dot on the body of a BG as a serious DETERRENT to a potential problem.

of course, the only SD options would be the models where they come on when you grip them....if you have to mess with a switch, that might be bad.

just thinking out loud here and looking for input from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself (as usual). thanks.
i have used them a few times in the past, but was not impressed enough or felt i needed them enough to justify buying one.

they may serve a useful purpose for some, but not for me. i would never tell someone they don't need one or they do need one. each person needs to decide for themselves, in their own unique situations whether one would be an asset or a liability.

as for being a deterrent, it could be also argued if the mere presence of the gun wasn't enough, it's likely having a laser isn't going to deter much more. kind of see that more in movies and TV. i'd like to see some real world reports of where a laser was a criminal deterrent.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
as for being a deterrent, it could be also argued if the mere presence of the gun wasn't enough, it's likely having a laser isn't going to deter much more. kind of see that more in movies and TV. i'd like to see some real world reports of where a laser was a criminal deterrent.
good point, 100% true.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
good point, 100% true.
my own father asked me for my opinions about a laser for his S&W he carries daily. i told him pretty much the same things have posted in this thread. he decided against spending the money getting a laser for it.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

i aggree with axxe. for training purposes they can be helpful if used properly. one of the things to remember is you are supposed to be focused on your front sight when shooting.. not at a tiny dot on your target. also, something to consider, lasers are straight as straight can be from point a to point b.. a bullet does not fly directly along a lasers axis.. just like sights... it will only be accurate at one prespeciffied point in its travels.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
one of the things to remember is you are supposed to be focused on your front sight when shooting.. not at a tiny dot on your target. also, something to consider, lasers are straight as straight can be from point a to point b.. a bullet does not fly directly along a lasers axis.. just like sights... it will only be accurate at one prespeciffied point in its travels.
i could see where constant use of a laser might make one "lazy," and stop focusing on their fundamentals. but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. you could always just turn the laser off when you wanted to.

as for the bullet not traveling like a laser...well, imo it seems that applies to basically everything in shooting (iorns, scopes, red dots, etc). all will have different points of impact at different distances, right? the shooter must know the POI change at various distances using almost any optic or sight.

the gunblast guy showed how the laser could have advantages in certain situations....seems to make sense. i'm not saying it is the right thing for every situation, but it might have some real advantages.

honestly, i don't know since i don't have any real experience with them.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
i could see where constant use of a laser might make one "lazy," and stop focusing on their fundamentals. but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. you could always just turn the laser off when you wanted to.

as for the bullet not traveling like a laser...well, imo it seems that applies to basically everything in shooting (iorns, scopes, red dots, etc). all will have different points of impact at different distances, right? the shooter must know the POI change at various distances using almost any optic or sight.

the gunblast guy showed how the laser could have advantages in certain situations....seems to make sense. i'm not saying it is the right thing for every situation, but it might have some real advantages.

honestly, i don't know since i don't have any real experience with them.
We used lasers overseas... It was part of our EOF.. If they don't stop after seeing the laser the next step is to fire.. So yeah idk. Like you said might work for some and not others.. Try to borrow one before buying maybe.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This