Soon to be officer: What gun should I buy!? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Soon to be officer: What gun should I buy!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At my old department Glocks were issued. I kept a 31rd mag in my bag.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #72

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts

I could see a restriction if it's in there all the time but if you ever got into the line of fire I could also see how an extended would be very helpful to have when the original mag is out.
Since some of you seem to be officers you should message me, I'm thinking of moving back home to Oklahoma and possibly joining a police department just to finally be back home, wondering how exactly I should go about all of that.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1380 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Once you get a job they will issue firearm to you. Buy something you can conceal for off duty. Considering your hunting a weapon on the internet it will be about 9 years before you need to worry about a gun. I would consider signing up for some ride along trips so you can see that being a police officer is a very boring job interspersed with seconds of activity.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #74

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some agencies issue weapons, most do not. Over a year away is too long to be planning as sometimes agencies change allowed firearms. Additionally, conditional offers aren't made until weeks, and sometimes months, before the academy begins. I wouldn't buy anything until you have your academy start date. I will be at the Denver Police academy next week fitting them for vests and pistols. They've been in three weeks and don't need their pistols for another month. Relax until you've gotten your letter and don't spend any extra money until you're guaranteed a job.

Steve

Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I am very fond of my HK USP - 12 rds of 45 but the new Sig 227 looks outstanding. Always a good reason to buy a .45 !

My brother is a LEO and they have zero options. I pretty sure they even have regs about what he can carry off duty as well.

So Axxe is right about the cart n horse w the exception that it is always a good day to buy a 45.

I am not a Glock fan but most of their problems, the plastic sights, horrible trigger, 2x4 ergonomics, are fixable. IF your dept allows such things. Most are too paranoid of lawsuits to allow for after market parts or trigger modifications.

I am a fan of the 10mm but I don't know of a single dept that is allowed to carry it. Maybe SWAT ???

Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #76

Liked 397 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Firearms have little to do with police work.

Police work is 40% boredom, 30% dealing with and writing reports about with REALLLLLY stupid people, 29.99% dealijg with paperwork, and .01% firearms.
Jon's right. I've been out of the job a long time but that's pretty much how I remember it too. To the question. A Glock or M&P. It might be only 0.01% of the time, but you want something that always goes bang if needs be.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1380 Posts
Likes Given: 766

I mentioned going on ride alongs. They are very easy to schedule at least in this area. Many police departments have an auxiliary or Jr Deputy program for people like yourself. Most police departments want to give young people a chance to see first hand if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.

I belong to a community watch. Officers take watch members on ride alongs so we can learn to spot suspicious people. We also have auxiliary deputies that are members of our community watch. They receive regular training so that in the event of a disaster they know how to do things like answer the phone and direct traffic. Believe it or not answering the phone at a sheriffs department is a little more complicated than saying "Hello. Let me transfer you to a real police officer." They also need to know how to work with Fema emergency coordinators.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #78

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I have a friend in Law Enforcement, his favorite gun is his Stoeger Cougar 9mm. He says it shoots anything he feeds it, is accurate, dependable and well made. He says don't let the moderate price fool you it is one great gun, actually a Beretta. He says that racking the slide on it is smooth as butter.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #79
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2942 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I am very fond of my HK USP - 12 rds of 45 but the new Sig 227 looks outstanding. Always a good reason to buy a .45 !

My brother is a LEO and they have zero options. I pretty sure they even have regs about what he can carry off duty as well.

So Axxe is right about the cart n horse w the exception that it is always a good day to buy a 45.

I am not a Glock fan but most of their problems, the plastic sights, horrible trigger, 2x4 ergonomics, are fixable. IF your dept allows such things. Most are too paranoid of lawsuits to allow for after market parts or trigger modifications.

I am a fan of the 10mm but I don't know of a single dept that is allowed to carry it. Maybe SWAT ???
I carry a G-20C for my duty gun. WTS, I am the ONLY Deputy grandfathered to carry the 10mm. I carry it partly because it is unique. When we still carried revolvers, I carried a .41 Magnum, just because.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I too as a Deputy back in the day had the option to (did) carry the 41 also...

Become steel or get cut.