Soon to be officer: What gun should I buy!? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Soon to be officer: What gun should I buy!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFBI23
I want to try everything out there and find what works best for me. I have been learning how to shoot but I have not had much time to practice. I am not yet hired but will be going through the academy soon. I would like to "be ahead of the game" by knowing what I am good and not good at shooting.
At this point in the game it's pointless to buy a gun you think you'll be using, it's putting the cart before the horse. The reality is you don't have a job yet. There's also the possibility you won't get a job right away. In today's economy departments can be very picky, with preference going to veterans and prior LE first. You'd be better served doing push-ups, sit-ups and running your arse off.

If you do get hired, you might be working for a department that mandates a specific duty weapon with no variances, like mine. Our primary must be the issued .40 cal Sig 229, but we can have just about anything we want for backups, off duty side jobs, or for the SWAT team.

If you find a pistol you like to get "ahead of the game" but wind up at a dept that requires something different, then all that time that was invested to get ahead will have been mostly wasted... Sadly, most departments don't give two $h!t$ what works best for you anyway. It's an outdated way of thinking IMO, but it's a sad reality of LE.

That being said, getting into the world of firearms is ridiculously fun. Go find a pistol course in your area. Learn to shoot, but accept the idea you will most likely use something else if you get hired. Just don't be married to the idea that you'll be using it for police work.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFBI23 View Post
I want to try everything out there and find what works best for me. I have been learning how to shoot but I have not had much time to practice. I am not yet hired but will be going through the academy soon. I would like to "be ahead of the game" by knowing what I am good and not good at shooting.
and what if what works best for you is not approved by the department or they require you to carry a department issued firearm?

if new to shooting and still learning why not let them start with a clean slate and let them teach you how to shoot?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #33

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Just curious why departments here don't look at CZ?
CZ may not have the same "support" packages that other manufacturers off to departments, in armorer training, repair and trade-in programs, instructor trainers to train officers on the new guns.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 259 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Just curious why departments here don't look at CZ?
If you're meaning 75b (a favorite of mine), here's why:

1) Heavy as hell
2) Less common (fewer supporting parts/services) than similar M9/92
3) Perceived as a 'Commie gun'
4) Unless you get the decocker, it's essentially a single action only

Great gun and a hugely popular service pistol around the world. Not one I'd want to lug around all week though. I'd greatly prefer it to a Beretta, however. The CZ P-07 Duty would suit a lot of what departments are looking for. But it would still struggle to meet the price point and commonality of Glock, SW, XD, etc.

Most of these decisions boil down to money, simplicity, and CYA for the lowest common denominators in the employee pool. Translation: Bureaucracy
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #35

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Now, my above comment was not I intended to discourage you to (1) buy a firearm; (2) get proper training with it; and (3) practice, practice, practice with it. However, at this stage of your career, don't choose the firearm based on getting hired on with a police department; as has been stated that will most likely be determined by the departmental requirements of whatever agency you get hired by.

Now . . . here I go once more . . . I would say that your first firearm should be a .22. Mebbe something like a Ruger MK III or 22/45. Why? Because the relatively low cost of .22 ammo will enable you to do all the practice a beginning handgunner requires to become proficient. The skills you learn with the .22 will transfer to other weapons later, and, if you buy a quality .22, you will never outgrow it. After 50 years of shooting my Ruger MK I is still the one I reach for most often for a couple of hours of plinking.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
THIS one is a tough one to fill with any pistol other than Glock, isn't it? It seems that light-bearing duty holsters have a very small list of possible firearm choices.

I would bet M&P would fulfill that requirement pretty easily, too...
Sig, M&P, Storm, Glock, FNX. Al have the needed holster availability. The possible exception is the FNX 45. One of the reasons I abandoned that as a duty gun.

You want to prepare yourself for a career in LE? Take an English Composition class at the local JuCo. Start taking Aikido classes. You will use skills from both of these endeavors FAR MORE that a firearm

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
If you're meaning 75b (a favorite of mine), here's why:

1) Heavy as hell
2) Less common (fewer supporting parts/services) than similar M9/92
3) Perceived as a 'Commie gun'
4) Unless you get the decocker, it's essentially a single action only

Great gun and a hugely popular service pistol around the world. Not one I'd want to lug around all week though. I'd greatly prefer it to a Beretta, however. The CZ P-07 Duty would suit a lot of what departments are looking for. But it would still struggle to meet the price point and commonality of Glock, SW, XD, etc.

Most of these decisions boil down to money, simplicity, and CYA for the lowest common denominators in the employee pool. Translation: Bureaucracy
That makes sense, but I don't think it could be much heavier than a p226. Every ounce counts though I'm sure when you're on duty.

I've got a young neighbor that's testing to get on departments that I was talking to the other day. He hadn't really known about CZ, other than he thought it was a cheap knockoff. Then he held my RAMI and his eyes lit up . He never knew. Now he wants to find a full-size to shoot. And I stumbled upon this article yesterday too.
http://shootersmagazine.com/cz-p-07-duty-the-best-pistol-nobody-knows-about/

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Wait until your actually hired by a Dept. They will give you their guidelines in uniform carry and off duty carry limitations. If your attending a program for pre-certification training that also offers firearms as part of the curriculum then the program will have their policies on such..

Good Luck to you friend.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 259 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
That makes sense, but I don't think it could be much heavier than a p226. Every ounce counts though I'm sure when you're on duty.
A 75b actually weighs like 25% more than P226, which is considerable. Those used to be my two primary handguns, and the difference between the two was quite noticeable. Steel frame vs alloy frame. Both great guns though, and the CZ certainly has a slimmer profile.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #40

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFBI23
In the next year or so I will be working for a police department and I have been looking into firearms. I have only had minimal experience so far but the guns i have shot are;

9mm Baretta (it was okay)
I have shot two different .40's and neither i was a big fan of, my dads .40 has a really powerful kick.
Glock 17 (not a fan)
.22 (horrible gun, jammed all the time)
.45 Kimber 1911 (loved this gun).

The next gun I want to "test drive" is a SIG P220. Sigs seem like great guns and I believe since i am not a glock fan that I would be safe carrying a .45 in the field. sigs have high reviews so far. people keep telling me it is what fits right in my hands; well so far i have shot the best with the kimber no problem. But I thought I would try a sig. Any thoughts?
Most of us that say they don't care for Glocks, ends up buying one, at some point!! My guess is that you will end up with a Glock not to far down the road!! Ugly looking things, but they just work as well as anything you can buy, probably better!!