somewhat new to pistols - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > somewhat new to pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by randommj View Post
so where do I go to look for options for the 1911? where can I find average pricing?

please be gentle on this (Im a car guy first) is there a place to "Build your own" online to see the cost, like you can with new cars online?

Miles
what is your budget....just let it be known that 1911's are not the cheapest guns but nothing compares to them, you will not be disappointed in the money you spend

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Could you be a little more vague?

You might want to go to a good range that rents pistols, try a few, and then you might be able to start narrowing your preferences down. I don't know of anything like the "build-a-car" you were talking about that could help you do the same with firearms.
a build a bear workshop for pistols would be nice

Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
what is your budget....just let it be known that 1911's are not the cheapest guns but nothing compares to them, you will not be disappointed in the money you spend
Im not sure what my budget is, Im in the "looking" stage, trying to narrow down my view

Miles

Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would recommend a Kimber or Springfield Armory 1911. I happen to own both brands. I know you said you wanted a steel frame but if you're open to other options such as tinker-toys (polymer/plastic) that are really reliable, durable, and have a very manageable recoile then check out the Springfield XD45 (service, compact, or tactical). Either way you go, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by kusterleXD; 12-04-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Old 12-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with what kusterlexd said, I also own a Kimber and and XD. Both are great weapons that are easy to point and shoot. I would trust my life to either. If you're still in the looking stage check out Ebang, the Gun Auction Search Engine . It's a search engine that searches all of the gun auction sites like gunbroker, auction arms, ect....Should give you an idea of the going rate. Just remember if you buy online you'll have to ship it and pay for the transfer at a local gun shop. I've seen the transfer range from $20 to $50.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I handled a 45 ACP Colt Commander and a Springfield Armory 1911 ss 45 ACP a couple of days ago and all I can say is that I have a bit of buyers remorse for not owning both over my XDm 40 and Cougar 40. The only thing that makes me feel any better is that I can still get my hands on 40 S&W ammo more regularly than I see 45 ACP on the shelf. I guess it's just that I'm an old fart but I happen to like steel/stainless steel the best and even though I know poly framed pistols have proven themselves I still have a bit of a problem of wrapping my mind around plastic and heavy duty machinery (like 1911's are). All this said, you really ought to shoot as many weapons available as you can otherwise you may end up with "Buyers Remorse" from buying something that really doesn't fit you.