Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sometimes it is annoying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sometimes it is annoying

I'm a democrat (well, about 80% of the time) who is also a gun owner. Mythology about democrats and their views on gun ownership aside, it is actually, easily possible to reconcile the two. I usually also defend the so-called "main stream media" to a point. But, I found that this particular news report annoyed me by one simple statement in the story:

ONE pistol and ONE rifle is a "cache of weapons?" Oh, C'mon!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_burress_search_warrant

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

At least they said "small cache". New Freaking Jersey....About as bad as Kali when it comes to gun laws. Registered? Why should I "register" my firearms I keep in my own home? Thank God for Texas!

Old 12-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You seem to have common sense. How do you reconcile what you recognize in the media as, at the minimum, a negative slant, and also support them?

I'm not ragging on you, I just find that I more often than not have to look at the BBC for truly impartial reporting.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good old yellow journalism. The left actually believes that crap, and that's scary. "I see dumb people". Merry Christmas to all my Christian brothers and sisters. Happy Holidays to the rest of you. Hunter Joe

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Actually I consider the differences between liberals and conservatives to mean the difference between anti-gun and pro-gun much more important than the differences between democrats and republicans-the sticker is there are MANY more liberal democrats than there are of republicans by definition. Having said that, I'm solidly republican, perhaps with a splash of libertarian.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
At least they said "small cache". New Freaking Jersey....About as bad as Kali when it comes to gun laws. Registered? Why should I "register" my firearms I keep in my own home? Thank God for Texas!
NJ Is much worse than Cali, as are New York and Illinois.

I found it amusing that my Kimber that was made in New York came with a big sticker on the side of the case that said "NOT FOR SALE IN NEW YORK".

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #7

At thanksgiving a liberal friend of mine and I were discussing selling guns. I explained that most people who sell guns make a very small profit and have to sell a lot of guns to make any money. She said that selling many guns was evil. I had to re educate her about teaching responsibility instead of branding something evil because it is dangerous. I explained that cars kill way more people than guns. When guns are banned the criminals get illegal guns and the good guys are defenseless and gun crimes rise. Then I had to get into 2nd amendment issues. Her boy friend backed me up in the argument(and probably didn't get any nookie that night) and we made her see another point of view. Teach responsibility instead of taking away something because its dangerous. This is America and guns are perfectly legal for a good reason. Most level headed americans know that guns can be used responsibly. I have many democrat friends that are gun friendly and thats a step in the right direction. Most democrats that are not gun friendly were not raised by hunters and shooters and just don't know any better. When those ones get into office thats when we suffer. Educate them.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Update

I notice the story has been edited to remove the reference to a "cache of weapons." One would hope the reporter or his editor realized it was a loaded phrase on their own, but it was more probably the result of a gentle nudge from Burress' lawyer.

As a Democrat, I have no problem with guns, as such. I have no objection to home defense, but (and this will anger many, I suppose) I think most Americans who think they need a carry gun are paranoid. I truly don't mean to insult anyone here (especially if they do carry guns ). (Yeah, yeah, yeah, when the time comes that I need it and don't have it I'll be sorry. If it happens I'll admit I was wrong. I calculate the odds of that being the same as Jessica Alba randomly dropping by for a booty call with me).

I have no problem with hunting, though I don't hunt. It looks cold and uncomfortable. I especially have no problem with target shooting as that is why I own a variety of pistols (otherwise known as a "cache of weapons").

I like the system in my state. Register for a background check with the local police department to buy a gun. Renew every year. Classes and another permit process to carry one concealed. I like the classes and permit process for that, but I don't like that it is legal. In my business I've run across three clients just this past year who were lunatics and also had concealed carry permits.

And, yes, auto weapons and assault rifle styles should not be sold to the public. However, the 1990s ten round magazine limit was stupid and pointless.

The NRA lucked out with the recent BS Supreme Court decision. I love owning guns, but I sure as hell don't have a Second Amendment right to one. My gun ownership has nothing to do with being a member of a well regulated militia needful for the security of the state. I have always thought the proper Constitutional argument for gun ownership should have been based on the Ninth Amendment, towit; Self defense with a gun until the police can arrive to take charge of the situation is a right which was not originally articulated by the Constitution because it was assumed and implied at the time the Constitution was written. However, it is a right that exists anyway.

Last edited by 741512th; 01-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

"I think most Americans who think they need a carry gun are paranoid."

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you! Haha

Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Wow. I'd love to engage in a healthy debate here, but somehow I have the feeling there isn't much hope.