Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Something I found, how true would you say this is? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/something-i-found-how-true-would-you-say-9635/)

Iam99x 01-04-2009 06:48 AM

Something I found, how true would you say this is?

Again, I'm new at firearms. I'm here to learn, not to be bashed or whatever. I was searching around for some pistol shooting tips and such, and ran across this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Pistol%20Wheel.htm

No idea whether or not to follow it. So, I'm asking you guys for your feedback.

matt g 01-04-2009 07:15 AM

Excellent tips for a newbie.

hillbilly68 01-04-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iam99x (Post 59411)
Again, I'm new at firearms. I'm here to learn, not to be bashed or whatever. I was searching around for some pistol shooting tips and such, and ran across this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Pistol%20Wheel.htm

Hey you won't get "bashed" here, not that type of forum. Guys may argue, but its usually pretty benign so dont be afraid to throw something out here.

stalkingbear 01-04-2009 12:02 PM

Read everything you can get ahold of, then attend a good shooting/ instructional course. Shooting instruction courses are WELL worth the money as certified instructors are teaching correct methods, if you just get somebody to show you to shoot, you MAY very well be taught bad or incorrect habits. After that, practice often and make SURE to keep correct form. DON'T even THINK about shooting without hearing/eye protection because if you shoot without it, it WILL ruin your hearing and make you flinch. Always use proper form/grip, trigger control, care of firearm, and sight alignment and you'll do fine. Shooting instructional DVDs will help too.

canebrake 01-04-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iam99x (Post 59411)

Most of us have it memorized, but I keep a copy in my range bag. If asked "what am I doing wrong" while at the range I hand the hit analyzer to them and say this will help.

Dillinger 01-04-2009 06:03 PM

Yep. For a RH shooter that is spot on "accurate". Keep in mind that you have to reverse it if you are LH. :D

JD

Iam99x 01-04-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 59437)
Hey you won't get "bashed" here, not that type of forum. Guys may argue, but its usually pretty benign so dont be afraid to throw something out here.

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 59443)
Read everything you can get ahold of, then attend a good shooting/ instructional course. Shooting instruction courses are WELL worth the money as certified instructors are teaching correct methods, if you just get somebody to show you to shoot, you MAY very well be taught bad or incorrect habits. After that, practice often and make SURE to keep correct form. DON'T even THINK about shooting without hearing/eye protection because if you shoot without it, it WILL ruin your hearing and make you flinch. Always use proper form/grip, trigger control, care of firearm, and sight alignment and you'll do fine. Shooting instructional DVDs will help too.

Oh, yeah man. I've been reading it all. Grip, stance, practicing with your "weak hand", protection... Everything. Thanks for reminding me again, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 59480)
Most of us have it memorized, but I keep a copy in my range bag. If asked "what am I doing wrong" while at the range I hand the hit analyzer to them and say this will help.

Haha, cool. I have that saved. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 59513)
Yep. For a RH shooter that is spot on "accurate". Keep in mind that you have to reverse it if you are LH. :D

JD

Yeah, It says that on the page somewhere. Great info now that I know it's accurate.

pioneer461 01-15-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 59443)

The chart is good general info.

*Double plus good info from Stalking Bear. Get professional training before you develop bad habits. Avoid learning from your neighbor's second cousin Bubba, who used to be a corrections officer. Bad habits can be difficult to un-learn.

* "1984 Newspeak" lingo.