Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   some input please. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/some-input-please-33530/)

ehfudd 10-25-2010 09:04 PM

some input please.

i am wanting a derringer and a semi. opinion on cobra and hi point. i know you get what you pay for so are these two both worth the price. looking at 9mm for both.

SecPro 10-25-2010 09:17 PM

Please pass through the intro section padre and tells about yaself.

I'd say a no go on Hi Point! Cheap wapon to say the least and in my personal experience not very reliable. I do have a friend that loves his .45 and has never had any issues though. Up to you man!

danf_fl 10-25-2010 09:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. We have a section for "Introductions". You may want to stop in there.

Have you done a search on these firearms? There are very strong opinions that have been posted here.

orangello 10-25-2010 09:29 PM

What are you needing them for? I would be happy to have a hi-point for range fun, but i don't know that i would bet my life on one. I haven't owned one myself though and may have been predjudiced by the opinions of others.

krazykeny 10-25-2010 10:07 PM

Try the Hi-Point forum.

Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index

Alchemist 10-25-2010 11:45 PM

I've always wondered; who buys derringers anyhow? I don't "get" them beyond the fact that when I was a kid (a LONG time ago) there was a half-hour TV Western hero named Yancy Derringer and his big shtick was that on nearly every show he'd reveal yet another new derringer CC hiding place somewhere on his body. He had a Native American sidekick named Pahoo and his shtick was that he would either blast bad guys with his 8-guage (!) shotgun and they would smack up against the wall on the other side of the room OR he would reach for his trusty throwing knife which was in a scabbard just behind his shoulder and with one fluid motion he would do amazing trick things with it such as throwing it at the rope that held the chandelier on the ceiling so that it would crash down on the dasterdly bad guy and of course knock him completely unconscious. But I digress...
I'm not usually so opinionated on these strings but this time for some reason I feel motivated to just recommend that... if it's a $ issue, that you drop the derringer idea and buy a better quality 9mm (than the two you're considering). I think in the long run you'll be happier about it. But, hey, it's just a suggestion. I'm thinking that if you handle a derringer for a few minutes in a store that might be enough to satisfy your curiosity about them and maybe you'll decide they're really not very practical. There are a LOT of guns I like to learn about and dream about and look at and handle for a few minutes but I realize I don't really need to OWN them. Just a little rant in my old age... please forgive me!...

robocop10mm 10-26-2010 01:10 AM

Derringers are notoriously uncomfortable to shoot. Even in the mild .38 spl they hurt to shoot. Get a used S&W 5 shot .38 revolver.

Ther e are so many quality semi-auto pistols available on the used market, I do not see any reason to buy a high-point. Look at a used S&W, Ruger or import Sig P-5.

dunerunner 10-26-2010 01:35 AM

Not for self defense in any way, shape or form! I thought about them too, and decided against it even for range plinking.

The derringer is a limited capacity weapon, not recommended for self defense.

Seriously shop for a high quality used pistol 9mm to .45 ACP, you will be glad you did.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

ehfudd 10-28-2010 06:54 PM

thanks for input on hi point 9 and cobra derringer.on hold for now.wife sez being layed off i need to make money not spend it.looking into raising alpacas. we have a small freshwater pond,but im not sure if they need saltwater,plus i need to see if i need an inspection or permit to sell the eggs at a locally owned diner.my wife thinks we do need something in order to sell food products.sorry this is so long but im getting better at pecking on this keyboard.dont need to ask wife for help. thanks gang

orangello 10-28-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehfudd (Post 376253)
thanks for input on hi point 9 and cobra derringer.on hold for now.wife sez being layed off i need to make money not spend it.looking into raising alpacas. we have a small freshwater pond,but im not sure if they need saltwater,plus i need to see if i need an inspection or permit to sell the eggs at a locally owned diner.my wife thinks we do need something in order to sell food products.sorry this is so long but im getting better at pecking on this keyboard.dont need to ask wife for help. thanks gang

eggs? That must be a BIG egg. :confused:

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/...lpaca-says.jpg Alpaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to raise eggs, get chickens & move their cage/corral around the yard every other day. People will pay well for those homegrown eggs. Guinea chickens will be an alarm system and insect control and cheap lil eggs. http://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php