Some general questions from a beginner.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Some general questions from a beginner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Some general questions from a beginner.

Hey all, first off I wanted to say thanks in advance for any direction or advice I get from you guys. I appreciate it.

I'm in my mid 20's and looking to purchase my first firearm. I was thinking about a handgun for personal protection/home defense/range shooting.

Obviously my first question would be a recommendation for a gun, but I think I'll be able to browse around the forum later and look for an answer to that.

My biggest questions are about cost. I'm looking to do things properly and want to know what you guys would recommend. Take an actual gun safety course (I've fired a rifle and a pistol perhaps a handful of times each), or just spend time at a range? How much time would you recommend spending at a range per month (obviously it's relative to how much you want to shoot)? And really, how much would you say you spend monthly on ammo? I don't want to buy a gun and then never use it except for the one time I actually need to.

I'm moving to Florida and from what I've read the gun restriction laws there are fairly lax so I'm not sure I'll have any issue on that front.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

+1 on a safety course

All else I can suggest is to go to a range and rent a few different pistols. Try them out and see what you like and feels good to you. I prefer at least .40 cal minimum for hd/pp.

Safety is #1 with any firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Buy a quality 1911 chambered in .45 ACP. Expect to spend about $1k

Learn to use it properly and study writings of the masters, like Massad Ayoob and Col. Jeff Cooper.

Burn at least 200 rds. per month at the range to perfect marksmanship techniques as outlined by Ayoob and Col. Cooper.

Never forget what common sense is and never fail to use it. A gun is a device that is designed to kill and the .45 ACP round does it very well. Never forget this fact, regardless of everything else.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The safety course is a great idea and also find a range that rents pistols. Shoot as many as you can and then find the one that fits you the best. What works for me may not work for you. After you narrow it down to four of five pistols you like I think the members here will be better able to help you out. After you find your pistol practice is important, I shoot at least twice a month and go through 200-300 rounds per trip. Some members shoot more/less often and shoot more/less rounds, again it's what works for you but consistant practice routine makes a good shooter.

I hope this helps and please take the time to introduce yourself on the new members thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here and welcome to the world of firearms. You're in for a great adventure.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Hello to ya, fellow newbie. Im kind of new to the world of handguns too, and the above posters gave some good advice. After shooting several and handling a couple dozen more in gunshops, I settled on the Kel Tec 9mm. Price was a big concern--a buddy sold me a used one with holster and ammo for 150). But it feels good in my hand, its very compact for carrying if I so choose, and I can consistantly hit headshots from 15 yds out, so Im pretty happy with it. If money wasnt an issue, Id go with the Glock 19--what a great gun! Feels great in your hand and those bullets go right where youre pointing! hehehe. Good luck. I wish there was a range around me that rented out handguns though.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the world of serious addiction.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

welcome,maybe Bersa if you are on a budget..

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Well, this is why Breyers makes 31 different flavors. Different opinions.

For a first handgun, you may look at a decent 22 auto- Ruger or Browning Buckmark. Good gun to learn basic pistol marksmanship, 22 lr is cheep to shoot. However, not enuff gun for effective defense.

while a .40 or .45 IS enuff gun, any gun so bulky/ heavy that you leave it at home is not effective (Gunfight rule 1- Have a gun)

You may want to consider a small framed .357 REVOLVER, such as a S&W Mdl 60. Light and small enough to conceal, enuff power to deal with bad guy, able to use .38 Special wadcutter target loads to reduce expense of practice. A revolver has another strong feature- there are fewer individual steps that are taken to shoot one. When things get dicy, they work.

+100 on find a range that will rent guns. Find what works for you. But reliability- works 100.000000% of the time is the MAJOR criteria.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Krahis first firearm??

C3shooter touched some on my rec. on a first gun/handgun. I most always suggest a 4" .357 Mag. revolver. If me, I would stick with S&W,Colt, or Ruger. I think the med. frame 6 shot fits most people the best, and will not give excessive recoil, to the new shooter. You can find good quality used ones for the $3-400.00 range. Of course, you can do 80% of your target shooting with .38spl. loads. This is my 2cents worth for a first gun.