soap and water?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > soap and water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default soap and water?

Hey everyone, i am new to firearms, and i have been researching how to clean them, most of the information is about the same, but today i came across a video, showing a guy taking apart his pistol (think it was a sig) and putting everything into a tub of soapy water,

is this safe to do, it seems like it would work well

also i have been trying to figure out how to break-in a new gun, i'll be picking my first handgun next week, and the information i have found so far is all over the place.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Really, the best things to use on guns is nitro solvent and a good gun oil. Soap will strip the oils out of the steel and won't do anything to loosen the lead and/or copper deposits from the chamber and barrel.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I've also read that soap and water was used to clean guns. I don't know if it's true or just legend, but I've read - on the internet of course - that some soldiers would urinate down the barrel of their rifle if they shot corrosive ammo. Apparently the urine would counteract the effects of the powder. Probably like windex is used. Of course, you have to pay to get windex.....

The manufacturer is the best bet for info about "breaking in" a gun. Read the handbook and if it doesn't tell you, contact the maker.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Believe it or not - I have a cleaning unit that you fill with hot water, solvent and soak all the weapon parts while on ultra-sonic motion. Once you take them out of the solution, they recommend you run them under extremely hot water, then you put them in a separate tub filled with oil and run them for another 10 minutes on ultra-sonic. Wipe the parts down & reassemble. Good for storage, carry or immediate use.

I run all my handguns through it, I run all my internal AR parts and my rifle bolts through there after every trip to the range. Had the unit for two years now and have had NO problems with anything I ever ran through it.

They are in use all over the country in gun shops and police armories.

I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing with just a tub of hot bath water, but if you have all the tools to do correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. However, it's the care after you take them out of the water that is the most important part...

JD

Old 07-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9139 Times on 3947 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

M-Man, I DO use dish detergent and very hot water to clean the bores of some of my rifles- after shooting milsurp ammo with corrosive primers. Those leave a residue similar to table salt. It IS water soluble, but regular (Hoppe's #9 type) bore cleaner does not touch it. However, for regular ammo, there are better products available. And the soap-and-water routine does not really touch metal fouling. Stick around long enuff, and you will find someone, somewhere advocating ANYTHING. When stainless steel revolvers were first getting popular, had one gent suggesting that you remove grips, and run it thru the dishwasher!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

he might have been using corrosive ammo, you need to clean the barrel, bayo or anything else after shooting that stuff with water with or without soap as well as windex to neteralize the acid in it untill you can get it home to really clean it good

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #7

Dillinger,
my dept. just bought one of those ultra-sonic thing-a-majigs. it kicks ass. our armorer dropped a beat up ruger sp101 that we use for training purposes into the vat. this thing hadn't been cleaned in years. it looked brand new when the process was done and the cylinder spun freely.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
Dillinger,
my dept. just bought one of those ultra-sonic thing-a-majigs. it kicks ass. our armorer dropped a beat up ruger sp101 that we use for training purposes into the vat. this thing hadn't been cleaned in years. it looked brand new when the process was done and the cylinder spun freely.
Colt - I tell you, from early on, my old man DRILLED into me the importance of doing good maintenance on our firearms. I would spend hours, literally, with him at the work bench after a weekend shooting event cleaning our gear.

After I started going to SHOT, which my first visit was in 2004, I started collecting literature. I got interested in the Ultra-Soncis stuff from Crest after seeing a demo that, literally, dropped my jaw in 2005.

After getting together with my current fiancee', she took a great interest in firearms in general, and learning to shoot specifically. She went to her first SHOT in 2006 and was hooked.

For Christmas in 2006 I received the Crest Ultrasonics 575, and since then I have NEVER had to hand clean one of my weapons after a day at the range again.

Obviously, this has led to more shooting, since we don't have to spend an hour plus, stripping and cleaning each part.

My fiancee' now has her own Nighthawk Custom 9mm 1911, and she is flat deadly with it.

I can honestly say that the addition of the Crest Ultra Sonic tank has not only made us better shooters, due to more practice, but it has given us the ability to provide a level of maintenence and protection that we previously have had to attempt by hand...

I am a lucky, LUCKY man...

JD

Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing with just a tub of hot bath water, but if you have all the tools to do correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. However, it's the care after you take them out of the water that is the most important part...

JD
I have AGI's basic video for 1911's and a quick soaking in a small tub is just what they recomend .

Been awhile since I watched it and I think the guy even used dish soap in the water .

After about a 5 minute soak he scrubbed it with bore and tooth brush's then lubed it after drying by hosing it and all the small parts down with Break Free .

I know for a fact Hoppe's Elite cleaners are water based and they do a great job of cleaning as I have a 32 oz bottle of the stuff and been using it for two years now .

Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I have AGI's basic video for 1911's and a quick soaking in a small tub is just what they recomend .

Been awhile since I watched it and I think the guy even used dish soap in the water.

Huh. That is something that I did not know. The theory is sound, as long as you maintain the weapon properly after it comes out of the water.

JD