So you want to buy a handgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > So you want to buy a handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default So you want to buy a handgun?

But you don’t know what to get, and are confused about the types and calibers. Well you need to ask yourself what are you going to be using this handgun for? Will you be using it for plinking (shooting tin cans), or maybe home defense, Carry Concealed, Hunting?

Then you can look at the basic types of handguns, they are Single shot break open (like and double barrel shotgun), Single action, double action revolvers, Semi-auto, and there is even a bolt action handgun (hard to come by though).

The common calibers range from,

.22lr (lr = Long Rifle)
.25 auto
.32 ACP
.380 auto
9mm
.38 Spl. (special)
.357 Magnum
.40 Smith & Wesson / 10mm
.41 magnum
.44 Spl / .44 magnum
.45 auto

There are other calibers to be sure but most are not the common type that people get on an everyday bases. And most wildcats are something people get just to say they got one.

If I were going to hunt small animals with a handgun like Rabbit, and Squirrels, or just shoot tin cans then a good .22lr would be what I would get. For animals like Coyotes and wild dogs then a good .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, or a .44 Magnum would be what I would look for. If I was going to hunt Dear with a handgun I would look at something in the .44 Magnum, or maybe one of the not listed calibers like .454 Casull.

If I want a handgun for home defense then I would look at something in .38 Spl. / .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, or the .45auto. Depending on the handgun these can also double for Carry Concealed.

If I were not experienced in handguns and was getting one for home defense then I would opt for a revolver probably in .357 Magnum. Reason being is that it is easy to operate; if it is loaded all one need to do is aim and pull the trigger. No safeties to worry about and no wandering if you had put a round in the chamber.

Single shot break opens like the Thompson Centers come in a verity of calibers and are mainly used for target shooting and hunting.

Encore Pistols - Thompson/Center

The Remington XP-100 is a bolt-action handgun that is mostly used for target and small game hunting. These are not produced any more but one may still find one for sale in a gun shop or a private sell.

Remington XP-100 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Single action revolvers are like the old west handguns, the Colt Peacemaker ect.

Colt Single Action Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Double action revolvers are like the Dirty Harry Smith & Wesson Model 29

Smith & Wesson Model 29 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semi-autos are like the Colt 1911 .45auto

M1911 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many differing brands, models, size and calibers of each category of handguns. So choosing your first handgun is as confusing to many people as is reading legal gorgon from a lawyer. The best thing one can do when being new to handguns is to find a gun store/range that rents handguns and has someone on staff that can teach you the handling of the gun. Then you can try out many differing types, and calibers before making that jump into something you may not be happy with.

A few things one should remember about handguns are but not limited to is that,
1. A handgun is a defensive weapon and not an assault weapon.
2. A handgun has a much shorter range then a rifle.
3. A handgun takes a lot more practice to become proficient with then a shotgun.
4. Hollywood distorts most weapons use to sell the movies

A lot of people want a handgun because they watch some actor in a Hollywood film use one to fight some war against bad guys. And some people actually believe Hollywood as being experts in everything and anything. Just don’t believe what you see in the movies.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

"The best thing one can do when being new to handguns is to find a gun store/range that rents handguns and has someone on staff that can teach you the handling of the gun."

Please remember that a majority of "chain" stores (WalMart, Academy sports, etc...) may hire someone to work the gun counter, but that does not make the salesperson an expert.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

some good info on here, but yeah id deffinatly go to the gun shop and fire off a couple rounds before i bought anything

Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmueller61990 View Post
some good info on here, but yeah id deffinatly go to the gun shop and fire off a couple rounds before i bought anything
Unfortuantely, guns shops are not like car lots. Most guns shops do not have a range where you can "test drive" the gun you want to buy. Even the ranges that rent guns don't rent guns of all makes and models. Educating yourself on the different types and styles is always best before you purchase your first handgun.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good call guys! Doing some healthy reading is really a good way to guage what you can expect from a firearm.

Don't trust the gun reviews in magazines either, I've never read a bad review. Even crappy firearms get great reviews. Read on the forums here and ask around for people experienced with the handgun you are looking to purchase. Then you will get a better idea of what to expect and may save yourself some headaches and money$$$!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I'm all for going to a range that rents a variety of guns to try out. One caveat to remember though - many range rentals aren't cared for that well and not cleaned that often. Before you judge a gun based on a rental - make sure to take these facts into consideration.

The same with negative interwebz postings. There are folks that had a single bad experience and they will post it everywhere and often. Take the good and bad write-ups with a grain of salt and always consider the source...

Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

Default 454 casull srh

I am looking for a Ruger SRH 9.5 inch in the 454 casull. any want to sell?