Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   So you think you can quick draw? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/so-you-think-you-can-quick-draw-35386/)

oldgrunt 12-09-2010 05:56 PM

So you think you can quick draw?

Interesting video.

Fastest gunman on planet. [VIDEO]

Neophyte1 12-09-2010 06:20 PM

Quick

That man is very quick. An excellent vid.
Thanks

SecPro 12-09-2010 07:43 PM

:eek::eek: That is some way cool ****!!

Theunsb 12-09-2010 08:07 PM

Greased lightening comes to mind.:D

Jpyle 12-09-2010 09:57 PM

He's fast but he's a bit of a d-bag if you ask me....

oldgrunt 12-09-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 400093)
He's fast but he's a bit of a d-bag if you ask me....

I tend to agree. He's fast and he KNOWS it.
Did anyone notice the hammer on his Colt. Made for that kind of work.
Kim

oldman45 12-10-2010 10:10 AM

I am not sure that he is honest about the number of records he holds. There was some guy up north that was the fastest draw and held several records for doing such and this has been in the last 10 years.

OldManMontgomery 12-10-2010 03:32 PM

Bob Munden is fast.

However, in all fairness to reality, the 'sport' of Fast Draw is a very specialized stunt and nothing more. The guns are modified to the point of being nearly useless for anything else and the holsters are similar.

I've seen Mr. Munden's show in person a couple times now - I used to shoot End of Trail regularly - and he is also a very competent pistol shooter aside from the Fast Draw stuff. However, he never won the End of Trail match when I was active. (Nor did I, in the spirit of honesty.)

This sort of shooting - which is very fun - has even less application to real life than PPC or IPSC shooting. Any kind of real life; self-defense or hunting rabbits.

oldgrunt 12-10-2010 04:48 PM

Practicality has nothing to do with this type of exhibition. I have shot bullseye competition for years and a 2700 outdoor match includes shooting at 50 yards. I have my doubts that this fellow could hit the paper at 50 yards even if he was shooting slow.
But his exhibition (I hesitate to call it shooting) is impressive. I'd have a hard time shooting that fast even with my semi-autos.
Kim

(You notice the three "OLD" guys involved in this conversation).

utf59 12-10-2010 05:39 PM

If you get the Outdoor Channel, there's a show called Impossible Shots that includes Bob Munden as a regular shooter. I've never seen him do any quickdraw work on the show. It may be that he's given that up (the video posted above is pretty old). Here's a video of him shooting a balloon at 200 yards with a snubbie.

If you don't get the Outdoor Channel, you can find plenty of other videos of him on YouTube.

BTW, if you watch the video from the OP, you'll notice that he doesn't actually draw before shooting the two balloons. He puts the gun in the holster. Then he takes it out and fiddles with the cylinder. Then he moves it vertical as if he's reholstering, but quickly pulls it up and shoots. It's still impressive to get two shots off that fast, but...