Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > So why is everyone still hoarding ammo????

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2198 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 1787

WHY is everybody still hoarding?

Possibly because that pot-smoking dickhead

Owe-bozo is still president ?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #32

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post

Being prepared for what?!?! There is nothing to prepare for. Why would you stockpile something that is not going to run out. I never said I did not have ammo to shoot. I have defensive ammo for every weapon I own. But to stockpile what I consider target/plinking ammo like WWB because of some make believe doomsday that is not coming is just ignorant.
Maybe they're preparing for the same thing I'm going to start prepping for: the "Next Big Panic" dun dun dunnnn...

I was really caught with my pants down. This whole time I've only had two loaded mags for my carry gun, and just recently found a 50 round box of Remington ball ammo.

I have exactly 64 rounds of .45. Yes, when it becomes more available and the prices come down a little more, I'm buying as much as is financially feasible for me. My goal by year's end is to have a minimum of 1,000 for my handgun, and a semi auto battle rifle of some sort (even the lovely lowly SKS would suffice, actually, I think I would prefer it) with a minimum of 5,000 rounds on hand.

Does that make me an evil hoarder? I don't think so. I think it just makes me not kick myself in the ass the NEXT time a huge panic sweeps our community. And it WILL happen. You KNOW it will. It happens every few years at the very least, and sometimes as often as a couple of months. Even I've seen that, and the biggest part of my gunning adult life was in the Marines where the ammo and guns were free! My teen and childhood years were spent mostly with .22's and shotguns, and ammo was always pretty plentiful for those. I used to buy a 550 rounds brick of .22 for 5 bucks, and a 25 shell box of #7-#8 for 10 bucks. No biggie back then.

Will I each my year end goal? I don't know. I'm damn sure gonna try though.

Edit to add: I just found 2 rounds in the console of my car. I now have 66.

See? For some of us, this is almost as bad as when a little kid is picking up Pennies off the ground to buy a candy bar. Oh, what the hell am I thinking... Kids these days don't have even that kind of work ethic...

Last edited by trip286; 03-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Being prepared for what?!?! There is nothing to prepare for. Why would you stockpile something that is not going to run out. I never said I did not have ammo to shoot. I have defensive ammo for every weapon I own. But to stockpile what I consider target/plinking ammo like WWB because of some make believe doomsday that is not coming is just ignorant.
You must have never been a Boy Scout.

My son and I shoot between 12,000-15,000 rounds per year. What am I going to do, stop at the LGS eveytime I want to go shoot and hope they have what I want in stock? No, I buy when I find good prices. The last time I saw any .22 in quantity was at GM and I bought 15 bulk Federals for $19.99. Sure am glad I did now.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #34

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

EDIT- Quote of deleted post

He wrote nothing but the truth! Where the heck have you been!? What he just said is easily verifiable!

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-09-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It really is being prepared for another scare at this point. Luckily I had some 9mm and .22LR on hand when this all started. But since I only have 300 rounds of 9mm and haven't seen any around I am less likely to shoot it. Those were the two calibers I had at the start of this, then i traded one of my 9mm guns for a .45ACP and I have been lucky to find 350 rounds of .45ACP I currently have 300 rounds of .45ACP also because I shot off a box to play with my new gun. The .22LR I don't even think about because I had 900 rounds when this started and still can buy 200 rounds at a time. A little local gun shop is getting in 500 round packs and pulling out the boxes of 50 and limiting how many 50 round boxes you can buy to 4. so they seem to have .22LR every time I go there.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7588 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

This has been rather thoroughly thrashed over. Are there some folks that are "hoarding" ammo? Possibly. However, you are seeing a far greater impact of people that usually buy 1 box every 3 years suddenly- together with a few million others that have the same thought- that they want to get 3-4 boxes NOW. Suddenly what would have been a 12 YEAR supply for that person is demanded in one MONTH. Multiplied by millions of people, the supply line just got sucked flat.

Seeing it GO flat, others are thinking "maybe I should get a few boxes while I can...." and the system crashes.

Ever seen a grocery store when a major snowstorm is forecast? Why is there no milk and bread? Answer- your fellow citizens (a) were afraid they were not going to be ABLE to get milk and bread, or (b) everyone decided to make French Toast.

For years I have bought ammo in bulk- good sale on 9mm, I might buy 3-4 cases. I have plenty of room for it, and good storage conditions. Was I hoarding? I don't think so- any more than the folks that hit Sam's Club or Costco for the 200 roll pack of toilet paper- buy in bulk for a good price.

Now that I see companies trying to sell .38 Wadcutter for $55 a box, yes, I AM glad that I bought cases at $4.95 a box. And yes, the demand IS spiked by various governments passing or proposing draconian measures to tax, regulate, or just flat prohibit things. Ask the good folks in NY State about 13 round mags for their Browning Hi-Power- or the member of the Legislature in Florida that wants YOU take take an "Anger Management Class" before you can buy ANY ammo.

In the meantime- we are all adults here. I expect you to act like adults. That does not include making insulting remarks or name calling. Knock it off NOW.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Closed Thread