Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > So... What gun are you looking to buy next?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
irishmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
Posts: 18
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Next purchase will be an HK P7M8... once I get the funds up lol

__________________

Lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea

irishmac is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #242
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Not a handgun but wasr ak 47 is what I would like next. My next three guns will be the taurus raging bill 480, Springfield xdm comp 9mm, and one day kimber ultra carry pro.

__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #243
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1281 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Not a handgun but wasr ak 47 is what I would like next. My next three guns will be the taurus raging bill 480, Springfield xdm comp 9mm, and one day kimber ultra carry pro.
CB, Great choices all! Only caveat I have is to research the Kimber IF you plan to carry it - there are people that have reported reliability problems with some of them. As a range gun, they are fantastic! My wife has a shirt that says, "Kimber is what you show to your friends, Glock is what you carry." I believe this is an indictment of the same reliability issue. I just wanted to mention it for your safety.

If I paid that much for a gun, I'd become the biggest PITA the company had ever seen until it worked flawlessly. I'd spend up to the cost of the gun in shipping going back and forth until they sat it in front of their top gunsmith and he customized it to death if that's what it took! There is no way anything that expensive should have any problem at all!
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #244
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

CB, Great choices all! Only caveat I have is to research the Kimber IF you plan to carry it - there are people that have reported reliability problems with some of them. As a range gun, they are fantastic! My wife has a shirt that says, "Kimber is what you show to your friends, Glock is what you carry." I believe this is an indictment of the same reliability issue. I just wanted to mention it for your safety.

If I paid that much for a gun, I'd become the biggest PITA the company had ever seen until it worked flawlessly. I'd spend up to the cost of the gun in shipping going back and forth until they sat it in front of their top gunsmith and he customized it to death if that's what it took! There is no way anything that expensive should have any problem at all!
Wow I can't believe that. Haven't actually done research on the kimber much because I haven't brought myself to spending that much on a pistol. But that makes me wonder for sure. I had a friend own one and he loved it. Never mentioned any problems but I really will look into it before I bought one. I had a high point and never had a problem with that except 1 out of 600 rounds FTF. I can't complain about that for $150. But over $1000 ill complain over the simple things. But thank you for your input.
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #245
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post

Wow I can't believe that. Haven't actually done research on the kimber much because I haven't brought myself to spending that much on a pistol. But that makes me wonder for sure. I had a friend own one and he loved it. Never mentioned any problems but I really will look into it before I bought one. I had a high point and never had a problem with that except 1 out of 600 rounds FTF. I can't complain about that for $150. But over $1000 ill complain over the simple things. But thank you for your input.
As someone who has actually owned 4 Kimbers I can tell you these rumors are not true. Between myself and friends we have over 10 Kimbers total. The only gun I've ever seen that had issues was the older version with the external extractor. That gun would not run a magazine without a FTE. It was returned to Kimber who fixed the problem and there was never another issue with that gun. As a matter of fact it was carried on SWAT for many years.

To prove a point I bought a brand new Tactical Entry in January. I've shot nothing but my own lead cast reloads through the gun. I'm up to 1000 rounds without a single malfunction and the gun had never been cleaned or lubed. It is 100% as it came out of the box. My shooting buddy bought a Raptor a few months ago and he is doing the same thing. He's run several hundred lead reloads without a malfunction and without cleaning the gun.

I've owned my Ultra CDP since 2007 and it has yet to malfunction either. It's my daily carry and I trust my life with that gun.

On a side note, my duty issue Glock 22 FTE twice in my last range qualification. In 19 years of LE I've seen and experienced plenty of Glocks that malfunctioned. Is it common? No, but it does happen. With the massive number of guns produced you will always find a few that have problems but this Kimber hate is completely unwarranted.
__________________
Max-Q is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #246
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,721
Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Default

Wouldnt mind having a Glock 17 just to have , and I would like a AK but Im not paying any more than $400 for one , there just not worth any more to me but I would like to have one in my collection

__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #247
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,352
Liked 1039 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

I'd like to find a Glock 28. What's the deal with the Law Enforcement only thing?

__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #248
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1281 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Max-Q, it wasn't my intention to portray all Kimbers as unreliable. ANY gun should be checked for reliability by putting at least 300-500 rounds through it before betting your life on it (yes, even Glocks!), but many people incorrectly assume that an expensive gun has none of the break-in issues of cheaper guns. They are all mechanical devices and need to be "worked in" or "shot in" to make sure everything works together.

Kimber is like every other gun manufacturer, about 95% good guns. Every manufacturer also has the 5% of their production that are mistakes, "Friday Guns" or just something overlooked. NEVER bet your life on anything you haven't proven, and with the ammunition you choose to carry.

__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)


Last edited by TekGreg; 07-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #249
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1281 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I'd like to find a Glock 28. What's the deal with the Law Enforcement only thing?
I read somewhere that Glock is only producing them in Austria and the current design does not qualify for import under the point-qualification system, except for LEOs. Others have said that Glock could manufacture in America, but they don't because they don't believe there would be a strong market for such a large .380 with all of the smaller ones available - it is the same frame as the 9mm and .40.
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 376
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

That's a tough one. There are a few on my radar...probably a xdm 3.8 compact in .45 or m&p compact in 9 milli. I've been doin sum research on the sig sp2022. The price point on that is very attractive although the width and weight is more than my g30 so still considering.

__________________
Glockpotion23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes