Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > So... What gun are you looking to buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Next purchase will be an HK P7M8... once I get the funds up lol

Lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #242

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts

Not a handgun but wasr ak 47 is what I would like next. My next three guns will be the taurus raging bill 480, Springfield xdm comp 9mm, and one day kimber ultra carry pro.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #243
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1281 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Not a handgun but wasr ak 47 is what I would like next. My next three guns will be the taurus raging bill 480, Springfield xdm comp 9mm, and one day kimber ultra carry pro.
CB, Great choices all! Only caveat I have is to research the Kimber IF you plan to carry it - there are people that have reported reliability problems with some of them. As a range gun, they are fantastic! My wife has a shirt that says, "Kimber is what you show to your friends, Glock is what you carry." I believe this is an indictment of the same reliability issue. I just wanted to mention it for your safety.

If I paid that much for a gun, I'd become the biggest PITA the company had ever seen until it worked flawlessly. I'd spend up to the cost of the gun in shipping going back and forth until they sat it in front of their top gunsmith and he customized it to death if that's what it took! There is no way anything that expensive should have any problem at all!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #244

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

CB, Great choices all! Only caveat I have is to research the Kimber IF you plan to carry it - there are people that have reported reliability problems with some of them. As a range gun, they are fantastic! My wife has a shirt that says, "Kimber is what you show to your friends, Glock is what you carry." I believe this is an indictment of the same reliability issue. I just wanted to mention it for your safety.

If I paid that much for a gun, I'd become the biggest PITA the company had ever seen until it worked flawlessly. I'd spend up to the cost of the gun in shipping going back and forth until they sat it in front of their top gunsmith and he customized it to death if that's what it took! There is no way anything that expensive should have any problem at all!
Wow I can't believe that. Haven't actually done research on the kimber much because I haven't brought myself to spending that much on a pistol. But that makes me wonder for sure. I had a friend own one and he loved it. Never mentioned any problems but I really will look into it before I bought one. I had a high point and never had a problem with that except 1 out of 600 rounds FTF. I can't complain about that for $150. But over $1000 ill complain over the simple things. But thank you for your input.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #245

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post

Wow I can't believe that. Haven't actually done research on the kimber much because I haven't brought myself to spending that much on a pistol. But that makes me wonder for sure. I had a friend own one and he loved it. Never mentioned any problems but I really will look into it before I bought one. I had a high point and never had a problem with that except 1 out of 600 rounds FTF. I can't complain about that for $150. But over $1000 ill complain over the simple things. But thank you for your input.
As someone who has actually owned 4 Kimbers I can tell you these rumors are not true. Between myself and friends we have over 10 Kimbers total. The only gun I've ever seen that had issues was the older version with the external extractor. That gun would not run a magazine without a FTE. It was returned to Kimber who fixed the problem and there was never another issue with that gun. As a matter of fact it was carried on SWAT for many years.

To prove a point I bought a brand new Tactical Entry in January. I've shot nothing but my own lead cast reloads through the gun. I'm up to 1000 rounds without a single malfunction and the gun had never been cleaned or lubed. It is 100% as it came out of the box. My shooting buddy bought a Raptor a few months ago and he is doing the same thing. He's run several hundred lead reloads without a malfunction and without cleaning the gun.

I've owned my Ultra CDP since 2007 and it has yet to malfunction either. It's my daily carry and I trust my life with that gun.

On a side note, my duty issue Glock 22 FTE twice in my last range qualification. In 19 years of LE I've seen and experienced plenty of Glocks that malfunctioned. Is it common? No, but it does happen. With the massive number of guns produced you will always find a few that have problems but this Kimber hate is completely unwarranted.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #246

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Wouldnt mind having a Glock 17 just to have , and I would like a AK but Im not paying any more than $400 for one , there just not worth any more to me but I would like to have one in my collection

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #247
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1039 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I'd like to find a Glock 28. What's the deal with the Law Enforcement only thing?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #248
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Max-Q, it wasn't my intention to portray all Kimbers as unreliable. ANY gun should be checked for reliability by putting at least 300-500 rounds through it before betting your life on it (yes, even Glocks!), but many people incorrectly assume that an expensive gun has none of the break-in issues of cheaper guns. They are all mechanical devices and need to be "worked in" or "shot in" to make sure everything works together.

Kimber is like every other gun manufacturer, about 95% good guns. Every manufacturer also has the 5% of their production that are mistakes, "Friday Guns" or just something overlooked. NEVER bet your life on anything you haven't proven, and with the ammunition you choose to carry.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #249
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I'd like to find a Glock 28. What's the deal with the Law Enforcement only thing?
I read somewhere that Glock is only producing them in Austria and the current design does not qualify for import under the point-qualification system, except for LEOs. Others have said that Glock could manufacture in America, but they don't because they don't believe there would be a strong market for such a large .380 with all of the smaller ones available - it is the same frame as the 9mm and .40.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #250

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

That's a tough one. There are a few on my radar...probably a xdm 3.8 compact in .45 or m&p compact in 9 milli. I've been doin sum research on the sig sp2022. The price point on that is very attractive although the width and weight is more than my g30 so still considering.