So this is my logic - does it make sense? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

So this is my logic - does it make sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzysean View Post
That's a pretty damn sexy piece! If I was looking to carry, I would seriously look into that. Maybe I will anyway. That looks like something that could be great for occasional times I would want to carry and a second gun in the house that my wife can use.

Don't worry, Cane, at some point I'll have that 1911 and not some half assed knock off. It will be a good one. When I go there, I won't go half way. I'm willing to wait. I won't carry it, though. I live in Massachusetts. I will need to be extra discreet. What I need is a something to protect my home, not kill the neighbors, and be a pleasure at the range. That's why once I know what I'm doing and can afford a good one, I get a 1911.

So many choices out there. I had no idea.
I got the Ruger for <400$, that way you save some cash for that So this is my logic - does it make sense? - General Handgun Discussion 1911! So this is my logic - does it make sense? - General Handgun Discussion

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Certain 1911's can be fairly inexpensive, go to Impactguns.com and look at the Taurus 1911's for around $600, or the Firestorm 1911's for around $350

Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #23

The 1911 design is excellent, I however do not think it is the best for someone just starting out, unless you are planning on taking some training so that using it comes almost second nature.
You have to remember that if a break in occurs, you are going to be under extreme stress. If you rack a round into the chamber and don't pull the slide all the way to the rear then release, the gun could possibly jam. It may have insufficient energy to chamber then lock into battery, which will cause a fail to fire.
Then there's fact that if you chamber a round, that round is going to be single action and if you are shaking and not paying attention to where your finger is in proximity to the trigger, could could end up accidentally firing a round.
Have you considered a handgun that's first round is double action? Less chance for an accidental discharge due to the added force necessary to fire the first shot. You can still cock the gun at the range for sighting in.
Or if you pick H&K USP you can change it to single action, cocked and locked.(like the 1911 design) Or leave it like a typical DA/SA.