snubnose 38

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > snubnose 38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default snubnose 38

I have a snub 38 That keyholes at about 20 feet.Is there anything that can be done to correct that problem . Rick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What loads are you using?

What is the overall condition of the barrel of the .38 (i.e. the rifling and whatnot)?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default keyholing

It sounds like you're using wrong loads-likely lead round nose. Try using a jacketed bullet load and see how they shoot. You have to experiment with different loads and stick with what shoots best.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8840 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

What weapon, and what cartridge? Have a S&W Mdl 36 that will make 5 shot cloverleafs at 50 ft with wadcutters- and have seen an RG that bullets must have left the muzzle traveling sideways.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

If the gun is from a quality maker ie. Smith and Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Taurus and to some degree Charter Arms, I would say you have a severely fouled/leaded barrel. Clean with a Lead free Cloth cut into patches to remove the fouling. Be very careful on blued guns as the cloth will remove bluing.

If you have a gun from someone like RG, Rohm etc. you can probably put it into service as a light weight boat anchor.

I have seen a Colt Trooper that appeared to have a smooth bore barrel. No sign that there was ever rifling in it. Not lead fouled, just an oops. Even the good guys make mistakes.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboxx1953.7 View Post
I have a snub 38 That keyholes at about 20 feet.Is there anything that can be done to correct that problem . Rick
Follow the advice you've read in this thread, but don't lose sleep over keyhole 38's. If it hits the target somewhere close to POA you are in good shape. A tumbling .38 is devistating to vitals...

Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #7

I would also check for severe lead fouling, and address that first. If for some reason you are using heavy for caliber bullets, that may be a significant cause as well.
Not to sound confrontational, but devastating or not, hitting close to POA and keyholes at 20 feet are somwhat concerning to me. I wouldn't lose sleep, but I would either fix, or get rid of, the gun. Either case, keeping it for defensive use is unsat.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-