Snake gun??? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Snake gun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Why? Its not got any poisons in it.
Ah but it does. Most people don't know that. It's basically made of venom.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Out side the box......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Yep very true......although I use the Cassul on oppossums in the Shops loft. Works well I must say since I found out a layer of rice paper set between the powder charge and the back of the cap give me ALOT more range. As in they are deadly accurate out to bout 30-45 feet. They also only spread out to about 3' at 30'
I thought we were talking about snakes in the US...... Florida is another situation.....If you can't kill a snake with a 22 with bird shot how the hell do you expect to fish in Alaska.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #33

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum

I thought we were talking about snakes in the US...... Florida is another situation.....If you can't kill a snake with a 22 with bird shot how the hell do you expect to fish in Alaska.......
Ill fish in Alaska w the Cassul loaded w 300 grain cast lead or 315 grain Buffalo bores. And the snake shot loads was actually made to use on snakes when I worked on the farm since the Cassul goes pretty much everywhere I do but then I discovered they work awesomely on overgrown pack rats(oppossums) wo blowing BIG holes in the building

Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #34

Liked 306 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm with hiwall on this one. i lived and hunted around them in florida for many many years . Never worried about them unless we wanted a belt/hatband or to eat them. Then we shot them. If you just have to kill them keep a old fishing rod with the first first couple feet cut off . Then whack them behind the head and that will brake there backs. or keep a walking stick cut with a V on one end. You now where the branchs grow out. Poke at the head and kill them. Shooting pistol might bring a some kind of law. Fish and game or a sheriff, then you have a problem. Rattlers do more often than not try to warn you your to close . Pay attention.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #35

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've not stepped on one, but I have stepped over or walked right by them (within a foot) without a problem. That doesn't mean the next one I see will react the same way. Sometimes I think snakes/animals are just like people. They have their good days & their bad days.

Seriously, what kind of pattern does the rat shot give at 3-4 feet, or less? Seems like accuracy may not be as critical as with a standard round, but unless it throws out a large pattern at short distances, still need to be somewhere near 'on target'. Any snake over 4 feet away, I'll just avoid it.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #36

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The only good snake is a dead snake,i see a snake i kill it. I dont care what kind they are, i either use my 10/22 or my 12g

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #37

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernielink View Post
Hi Friends, Been thinking of getting a gun to take in my tackle box for rattlesnakes when fishing...
WHY would you give a gun to a rattlesnake? They are dangerous enough, apparently except when you step on them!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #38

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I'm with hardluk on this one; save the ammo and use a stick.

I understand that if your family is with you, then you might feel the need to eliminate the threat of a rattler. Especially if you have youngsters in tow. I was raised to never waste my kill, so rather than risk a snake full of lead shot, we use the 'stick and knife' method: one person pins the head or neck to the ground with a stick, then the second person can safely secure the head with his boot placed behind the stick, then the pocket knife takes the head off. The stick plus the width of the boot will place the cut at least 6 inches behind the rattler's head, well past the venom glands. The jaws will keep snapping for a while, so carefully bury the head, skin the critter for hand grips on your pistols, and eat the rest!

This can also be done without two people, but if you're alone, I suggest just walking away. If you insist on shooting snakes, keep in mind that a coiled and startled rattler, despite all the noise it makes, won't be moving his head much, so shot isn't really necessary when a well placed bullet will work as well. Then there's less lead to worry about eating and a skin that isn't riddled with holes might fetch you a couple bucks.

-Tom

Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #39

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Gen'l BlackJack Pershing shot a snake that was near my Grandmother. He didn't step on it accidently, whip it, or poke it with a forked stick. What was good enough for him...

Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #40

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im not getting close enough to a snake to whack it with a stick, ill leave the sticks for the wolves. I,ll shoot them everytime, the snake that i let go today may bite one of my kids tomorrow, not gonna chance it.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis