Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Snake gun??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/snake-gun-66286/)

bernielink 06-12-2012 12:30 PM

Snake gun???

Hi Friends, Been thinking of getting a gun to take in my tackle box for rattlesnakes when fishing, they're pretty bad in SE New Mexico. Thinking about a 410: super comanche, maybe a derringer (hard to hold on to with a 410 round?) or maybe just get shot shells for my Armscor 38 sp. Don't want to spend a lot of money to throw it in the bottom of my tackle box. I need ideas from you pros. Thanks, Bernie

texaswoodworker 06-12-2012 12:56 PM

My grandpa just uses a .22 revolver with rat shot in it. A couple shots usually does the job. If your wanting a little more power, then a .38 special or .357 magnum loaded with rat shot will get the job done too. Look into the cheaper companies that make safe guns. Remember, your wanting a snake gun. Unless you want to shoot snakes through the eyes at 50 feet, you don't need a super accurate gun. Plus, if you use shot, then accuracy won't be a big issue.

I'd look into something like a EAA Bounty hunter .22. They run about $240 new, so a used one will be cheaper. From what I read, they have ok accuracy, and are generally decent guns.

winds-of-change 06-12-2012 01:23 PM

What is "rat shot"? My .357 is loaded with something much more deadly than "rat shot", I think.

TheRicho1 06-12-2012 01:30 PM

Definitely use shot. The question is .22 or a 410. The .22 is smaller and the gun / ammunition will be cheaper, but it doesn't pack as much of a punch. The 410 gun / ammunition will be more expensive, but it'll kill'em dead in one shot. I think .22 or 410 would be the best choices based on ease of finding shot shells - I've never even seen .38 shot; but then again I do live in NY.

bernielink 06-12-2012 01:32 PM

I have an N.E.F Gardner Model R92, 22lr 9 shot revolver, cheap gun but goes bang every time I pull the trigger. But is a 22 enough gun? And I want shot shells (don't want to take the chance of missing the booger with a regular 22 round.) The Armscor 4" barrel 38 sp. is a $200 gun that's small enough not to be bothersome. Also have a Uberti 45 lc, but its big, heavy and not a cheap gun (just in case I drop it in the lake). What do you think? Thanks, Bernie

TheRicho1 06-12-2012 01:40 PM

I think it's about shot placement. A .22 is enough is you shoot'em close - remember we're talking about shot here; after 5' - 7' it's not worth much. If needed you have another 8 rounds, right? :) The 410 is cool because you can use larger shot ( 7s or 8s ) and it'll hit much harder.

oli700 06-12-2012 01:56 PM

Snakes move preatty fast around here anyway, I'd take shot over the single projo on such a small, fast target.

hiwall 06-12-2012 02:02 PM

Or just leave the snakes alone. I hike hundreds of miles a year in rattler country. I've stepped on rattlers and looked down and seen them rattling near my feet(I don't hear very good) but never had a problem. I carry hollow-points for the bigger varmits. But if you must i would use a 38 spl with shot cartridges.

Marlinman 06-12-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
What is "rat shot"? My .357 is loaded with something much more deadly than "rat shot", I think.

"Rat shot" is a shell loaded w shotgun shot that is usually lapsed w #10 or #12 shotgun shot. If you reload your own ammo then you can use pretty much any size you want as long as it is small enough to go down the barrel. If it was me I'd find a cheap 22 mag revolver and mix the loads in it w rat shot and jhp.

TheRicho1 06-12-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
Or just leave the snakes alone. I hike hundreds of miles a year in rattler country. I've stepped on rattlers and looked down and seen them rattling near my feet(I don't hear very good) but never had a problem. I carry hollow-points for the bigger varmits. But if you must i would use a 38 spl with shot cartridges.

I'm all about preservation. I agree you shouldn't be looking under rocks to find snakes to shoot, but I don't think OP is doing that. It sounds like it's a backup plan.

As for "stepping on rattlers and not having a problem", I call BS. I lived in New Mexico and have been around them too - you step on a snake like that you get bit.