smith & wesson 4506 .45 acp
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > smith & wesson 4506 .45 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default smith & wesson 4506 .45 acp

hi guys and gals. i didn't posted much in the last few months, i've been busy with a 3 months tactical training ...in vancouver.

i'm lurking for another pistol,i've already a pretty nice line-up consisting mostly in 9mm's and .40's...you know, this famous addiction we all have????..lolol.

someone is offering a S&W 4506 in .45(naturally)...apart of the fact that this gun has been produced between 1988 and 1999,i dont know much about his character,reliability and quality overall.

the thing is that i cant endure loose pistols who doesn't display a good potiential accuracy, i'm totally maniac with my shooting, i want only pistols who has good accuracy potential.

what you guys think about this one??? i dont own any .45, it would be the first one, and the price asked is 500$.

am i going to regret such purchase once at the range or is it possible to make an accurate shooter with it without commiting in mods of all kind???

thanks for your imput all, it's realy appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it's in excellent condition, $500. is definitely top dollar. I think $450 is a more realistic price for a 4506.

I like S&W revolvers, but I'm not a big fan of their semiautos. They just feel brick-like and clunky to me. For a .45 in the $400.+/- range, see if you can find a Beretta Cougar 8045 to check out. Definitely better ergonomics.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If it's in excellent condition, $500. is definitely top dollar. I think $450 is a more realistic price for a 4506.

I like S&W revolvers, but I'm not a big fan of their semiautos. They just feel brick-like and clunky to me. For a .45 in the $400.+/- range, see if you can find a Beretta Cougar 8045 to check out. Definitely better ergonomics.
clunky and uncomfortable ergos...hmmm!

thanks for your input.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Don't let my opinion put you off in any way if it's what you really want. They are a decent and dependable pistol, law enforcement used to use them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Don't let my opinion put you off in any way if it's what you really want. They are a decent and dependable pistol, law enforcement used to use them.

oh...yes,naturally, but i always listen to peoples input, and i must say that i'm looking to get another gun, but i even dont know why and wich one

basicaly,just adding one to my collection, but i still dont know what i should get....

i've seen the gun in an add, and as no one near me could give me some valuable infos i got this good idea of asking on the sole forum i knew is filled with experienced dudes.

the info you throwed in are important to me, i have enough bricks with handle in my safe as i'm a bit of a glock fan, so if this smith is nothing great and doesn't sport great ergos, i think i will either make a lower offer or runaway.

oh! and an off topic question here...is arnie signed the bill for no more ammo selling on the web, or he desisted??? i hope for you californians(my cousin is from redondo beach) that there will be no more restrictions on things already enough restricted lolol.

thanks for the knowledge shared.

Last edited by Glockmaniac; 10-23-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Unfortunately, Arnie signed the ammo bill last week. But it won't go into effect for some time, so stock up now.

BTW, have you thought about a 1911?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've had a number of 3rd gen S&W autos and they are tough and reliable. These are "duty" guns and not target grade by any stretch of the imagination. The 4506 is the big brother of the 4006 - the gun that was designed from the ground up for the .40 S&W.

IMHO, $500 is high for one of these and mags for all the 3rd gen S&W autos are rather expensive. The reason I no longer have any is I find the triggers on these kind of mushy and I prefer SA guns...