Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Smallest caliber you trust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Here's a link to some ballistics info. Some may find it helpful. Based on muzzle energy alone, one would opt for 10mm first, then as a major compromise, .357Sig.
http://www.mouseguns.com/PopularHandgunAmmoComparison.pdf

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #82

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I just love hearing statements like that
I've carried a 25 in my pocket more than once & know a couple others that do often- Know a couple others that carry those little bitty 22's (American Arms?)
As to the OP's question I'd trust a 22 short before i'd throw a 44mag at someone wanting to do me harm
It is certainly your right to carry whatever size gun you wish, I choose to carry a weapon that will do some damage, ........did you know that at anything more than about 30-35 ft a heavy leather jacket will stop the average 25 rd, and even if it did not by the time it got though, it would have no energy left, this is a quote, as i'm not going to shoot my jacket just to test them, I was shootting at some mason jars at about 20 ft, and you had to have a real direct hit to break them, a glancing hit just knocked them over

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #83

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
It is certainly your right to carry whatever size gun you wish, I choose to carry a weapon that will do some damage, ........did you know that at anything more than about 30-35 ft a heavy leather jacket will stop the average 25 rd, and even if it did not by the time it got though, it would have no energy left, this is a quote, as i'm not going to shoot my jacket just to test them, I was shootting at some mason jars at about 20 ft, and you had to have a real direct hit to break them, a glancing hit just knocked them over
You totally missed my point

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5505 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post

Why would you be shooting 35 feet in a defensive situation???
About 98 percent of defensive shootings take place at less than 3 yards. And no, a .25 is not ideal for getting into a gunfight.

OTOH, neither is any other handgun. If you think you're going to get into a gunfight, take a rifle.

And a .25 in your pocket will protect you better than a .45 in your safe.

Winston Churchill
JimRau Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #85

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
OTOH, neither is any other handgun. If you think you're going to get into a gunfight, take a rifle.
In addition, subguns have been popular military weapons for over 70 years, and most of them use 9x19mm pistol cartridges.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #86

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If I knew I was getting into a gunfight I would make sure the other guy would never know he was in a fight - - - he would be standing at the pearly gates wondering how he got there. Announce your presence and intentions in a loud clear voice and if the perp turns to see you they only see your barrel - - - make sure they make the decision to submit or die before they can pull the trigger.

But a personal defense weapon is for the surprises in your life. If someone was to get the drop on me I would try to be as non-threatening as possible until I get the opportunity to resolve the situation in my favor. In the right hands a 22 could save the day but I would like something better.

What is the biggest you can you carry comfortably day in and day out?

I have carried several over the decades - - - right now my favorite is a 6906 SS S&W 12+1 9MM 2 spare magazines can be ( not normally ) carried under my right arm relatively small and light and adequate for my purposes. I normally only carry spare mags when on duty and they are 15 round mags that will fit either my 5906 or my 6906. In over 40 years I have never needed more than 5 rounds to end the situation.

Now if I was going Lion hunting in Africa I would make changes.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
If I knew I was getting into a gunfight I would make sure the other guy would never know he was in a fight - - - he would be standing at the pearly gates wondering how he got there. Announce your presence and intentions in a loud clear voice and if the perp turns to see you they only see your barrel - - - make sure they make the decision to submit or die before they can pull the trigger.

But a personal defense weapon is for the surprises in your life. If someone was to get the drop on me I would try to be as non-threatening as possible until I get the opportunity to resolve the situation in my favor. In the right hands a 22 could save the day but I would like something better.

What is the biggest you can you carry comfortably day in and day out?

I have carried several over the decades - - - right now my favorite is a 6906 SS S&W 12+1 9MM 2 spare magazines can be ( not normally ) carried under my right arm relatively small and light and adequate for my purposes. I normally only carry spare mags when on duty and they are 15 round mags that will fit either my 5906 or my 6906. In over 40 years I have never needed more than 5 rounds to end the situation.

Now if I was going Lion hunting in Africa I would make changes.
My 6906 is still my 'go to' gun, for the reasons you stated, for most of my CC!
IF IT'S NOT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #88
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 729 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 218

It is the firearm that I trust. Shot placement and size of hole. So S&W 25-5 and Colt 1911. However, here in IL I carry a pocket knife.
Lots of practise, and carry the firearm you are most proficient and confident with.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #89

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When my daughter and I took our 6906s out I fired a 12 round rapid fire string at 10 yards standing and 11 holes could be covered by a nickle, a quarter took in the 12th

Hard to impress a 23 year old Lance Corporal but she decided I could be her backup in close combat - - - I need a scope for anything over about 100 yards but still hunt squirels with a 22 and a 4 power scope.

I guess it is just the way they fit my hands but my 5906 and 6906 are probably my favorates.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

A .22 Raven is perfectly OK as a primary weapon as long as you carry a 4-inch Model 29 as backup.