Smallest caliber you trust? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Smallest caliber you trust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by batjka View Post
I have read similar claims numerous times on different forums. People tend to compare a .22 out if a RIFLE with a .25 out of a pistol and come to a conclusion that .25 is weaker. Well, it is not. And especially not a .32. Please explain how a 40gr bullet at 1000 fps equals a 73gr bullet at 950 fps. A .32 ACP has been a mainstay of European armies and police forces for decades. It's a proven round. My carry is .32 and I am very comfortable with its balance of weight and power.
I'm sorry but I must take exception to what you said, first I agree the 32 is a viable SD round, I wound not carry it but some do, however I honestly think you may be better off throwing the gun inself at a BG if you had a 25, and I am compareing pistols, 22 & 25, the average 22 pocket gun has between 100 - 112 lbs of energy at the muzzle, a 25 has with good ammo maybe 62 lbs, a 25 is the weakest possable pistol rd there is aside from maybe a pellet gun,
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

If bore diameter is the meaning of smallest caliber, and a handgun that is practical to carry, my minimum would be .327 Federal. I don't own one, so the smallest I have that I ever carry is .38 Special. I have a .38 snubbie, but only carry it if I can't conceal anything bigger. In terms of effectiveness, the .327 would be better, though.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #73

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That would be the largest caliber I could get my hands on.

But in actuallity my daily carry is a Bersa Thunder .380. I've got bad joints now, and anything heavier would give me more problems than I need, considering that right now I also carry five loaded spare magazines, and will be adding one more as soon as I find on at a reasonable price. If I were younger I would want a .45. However, the Bersa has proved to be 100% reliable right out of the box, with any brand or type of ammunition I have put thru it. Hard to top reliability like that. And I'll take a good semiauto over a revolver anyday, because, who knows, you might be a really lousy shot.
slog Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
I only carry .45acp in a Colt 1911 Government or SA XDM-45 4.5". However, I would seriously consider .357Sig in a Glock 32. A recent study showed that on average 2-3 rounds of any caliber were necessary to stop an attacker, although the instances of the attacker never stopping increased as the caliber decreased, and decreased as calibers got larger. Also the situations of the "one shot stop" were higher with larger calibers (although still a very small percentage).

And...rifles were significantly better than any handgun round in the same study. Hence the old saying that the handgun is to delay while you get to your rifle.
Actually what both shootings, studies, and research show that there literally no realistic difference in the ability to stop an attacker (human) between the 9mm Luger, 357 Mag/Sig, 40 S&W, 45 ACP/GAP/Colt IF you use the BEST defense ammo available on the market today. The 'wound cavities' caused by the best to the worst is less than 5%!!!!
What stops the 'fight' is oxygen depervation (short of a central nervous system hit) to the brain which is caused by blood lose! A few thousands in initial diameter of the projectile has little to no effect on this wound cavity.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #75

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read quite awhile back of a shootout between a bad guy and two cops. They pulled him over for a minor traffic violation, not knowing he was a convicted felon. As soon as the cops got out of their vehicle, the guy exited his and started shooting. The cops wound up not getting hit if I recall right, but the bad guy got hit a total of seven times, with 9mm jacked hollow points - and kept firing each time he was hit. Finally he fell. The finding was, that the hollow points filled with leather from his jacket, making act just like full metal jacked rounds, with none hitting a vital area. The guy collapsed finally from loss of blood.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldsarge View Post
I read quite awhile back of a shootout between a bad guy and two cops. They pulled him over for a minor traffic violation, not knowing he was a convicted felon. As soon as the cops got out of their vehicle, the guy exited his and started shooting. The cops wound up not getting hit if I recall right, but the bad guy got hit a total of seven times, with 9mm jacked hollow points - and kept firing each time he was hit. Finally he fell. The finding was, that the hollow points filled with leather from his jacket, making act just like full metal jacked rounds, with none hitting a vital area. The guy collapsed finally from loss of blood.
Correct you are. My testing and the testing of MANY others have shown that most HP's, regardless of the caliber/round, when fired into building material and/or heavy clothing have a tendency to fill the hollow cavity and preform as 'non expanding' bullets. There is no 'perfect/magic' bullet. Hornady has come out with a bullet filled with a 'gel' which is said to help with this problem. It is to new to get data from actual shootings, but the tests show it is an improvement over the conventional HP.

Last edited by JimRau; 10-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #77

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
I'm sorry but I must take exception to what you said, first I agree the 32 is a viable SD round, I wound not carry it but some do, however I honestly think you may be better off throwing the gun inself at a BG if you had a 25, and I am compareing pistols, 22 & 25, the average 22 pocket gun has between 100 - 112 lbs of energy at the muzzle, a 25 has with good ammo maybe 62 lbs, a 25 is the weakest possable pistol rd there is aside from maybe a pellet gun,
Please show me ballistics calculations showing a .22 pocket gun developing 100 - 125 ft-lbs of energy. I am very curious.

.22 is a rifle round and its potential is reached from longer barrels. .25 was developed as pocket pistol round and reaches its full energy from 4" barrels. One needs to compare apples to apples.

And the weakest auto pistol round would be the Kolibri. I would really love to shoot it one day. Must be tons of fun :-)

Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #78

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

The hot CCI 22LR, I think its the Stingers have 190+ lbs of energy at 1700 fts out of a 18 inch barrel, at the muzzle, the same bullit out of a 3 -4 inch barrel has 124 lbs at 950 fps, the strongest 25 I could find has 64 lbs at the muzzle at 840fts,............if you are not a troll, and want to see the real differance between a 22 and 25 take your two guns, please say you have a example of each, I thought you must to know so much about them, and a normal size phone book, load your 25 with a good FMJ rd, and put a couple rds into the phone book, then do the same with the 22, phone book can be wet or dry, use the best hottest rds you can find for each gun and see which get further though the phone book,.........you can also do the same with water filler jugs....if you are honest in the test I and several others know what the answer will be

Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #79

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
I'm sorry but I must take exception to what you said, first I agree the 32 is a viable SD round, I wound not carry it but some do, however
Quote:
I honestly think you may be better off throwing the gun inself at a BG if you had a 25,
and I am compareing pistols, 22 & 25, the average 22 pocket gun has between 100 - 112 lbs of energy at the muzzle, a 25 has with good ammo maybe 62 lbs, a 25 is the weakest possable pistol rd there is aside from maybe a pellet gun,
I just love hearing statements like that
I've carried a 25 in my pocket more than once & know a couple others that do often- Know a couple others that carry those little bitty 22's (American Arms?)
As to the OP's question I'd trust a 22 short before i'd throw a 44mag at someone wanting to do me harm

Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Like I said:
"A little gun in your pocket is better than a big gun in the safe"!
BUT please do not think the little gun will stop an aggressive attack!!!
There have been two occasions, which I have first hand knowledge of, where a person was shot 6+ times with a 25 and the person who was shot nearly beat the shooter to death (in one case he would have had we not stopped him)!!!
Like wise I can tell you of several similar instances where a person was shot numerous times with a 380 (including in he head) and it did not stop them or even slow them down much (a 357 Mag 125 gr HP did thought)!
There is no 'magic' bullet or caliber, if you elect to carry a 'little' gun DO NOT COUNT ON IT!!! Certainly do not try and intervene to help someone who is being victimized by a 'well armed' criminal or you will probably be another of his 'victims'.
Carry the most gun you can if you elect to carry!!!!!!