Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Smallest caliber you trust?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Default

The AIM-9B would be my preferred round if I could afford it. However I would need enough money to buy the F/A-18 Hornet to attach it to. Then I wouldn't have to get my slide rule out to figure the wound cavity.

__________________
kycol is offline  
maddoccanis Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
maddoccanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 44
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

It is said that the best gun is one you will actually carry. With that said, I see no reason to go with less than a Ruger or KelTec mini 380. If you can tolerate a bit more, you can get away from the DAO funtioning with a Walther PPK or a Bersa in 380. Me I like having a pair of full sized 1911 45s or at least my Alaskan 44 mag. Maybe I should look for a bigger gun......doc

__________________
maddoccanis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #213
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Default

You all do realize a little boy with a slingshot and a rock can kill a giant.


Ok ok the rock was likely bigger than a 40 grain 22. So let's not pick apart rock size.

__________________
kycol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greenacres,Florida / Palm Beach County
Posts: 124
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

My EDC is a G36 but on occasion when I need a very deep cover Gun, I have a .380 in my right front pocket. I never have listened to those who think a .380 is not a good round for self defense. I would rather have my G36 but I am confident when I have the small gun with me.

__________________
SK2344 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 258
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Carry the largest calibur gun you can reliably control with one hand. If you can control a snubb nose .44 mag carry that. If you can only hit with a .22 carry that.

We know, that for some strge reason larger slower moving prjctiles are best for killing humans(in handguns). But we also know that heavy projectiles have more recoil. So if you are afraid to shoot your .45 or .44 cuase you didn't do your puchups in the morning. Then carry a .22 and practice point shooting sternum shots, and nasal shots.

Draw speed and shot placement wins everytime. Berretta makes a great little .22 auto that I used to sell a ton of to cops and ladies fr hide out and purse guns.

One other thing, a .45 can be modified quite a bit to reduce "felt" recoil, (as any gun) but you gotta be willing to pay for it.

__________________
triggerjob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #216
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1232 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 665

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Took you 40 yrs to figure that out
Not really, but I am a little slow some times!
It started about 1974 when I got out of the Army and went into LE, but I can't tell you the exact date when I proved myself wrong (trying to prove what is said in he above post) but it was in the mid to late 80's.
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!


Last edited by JimRau; 11-11-2012 at 07:54 PM.
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #217
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1232 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 665

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
Carry the largest calibur gun you can reliably control with one hand. If you can control a snubb nose .44 mag carry that. If you can only hit with a .22 carry that.

We know, that for some strge reason larger slower moving prjctiles are best for killing humans(in handguns). But we also know that heavy projectiles have more recoil. So if you are afraid to shoot your .45 or .44 cuase you didn't do your puchups in the morning. Then carry a .22 and practice point shooting sternum shots, and nasal shots.

Draw speed and shot placement wins everytime. Berretta makes a great little .22 auto that I used to sell a ton of to cops and ladies fr hide out and purse guns.

One other thing, a .45 can be modified quite a bit to reduce "felt" recoil, (as any gun) but you gotta be willing to pay for it.
And the myth goes on!!!!
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #218
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 258
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Guys it aint a myth. The US gov did 3 seperate tests on handgun ammo using cadeavers 2 of the tests were released and the 3rd one is still classified. But th 2 tests that were released both agreed slower fatter bullets kill people best.

Anyway believe what you want to but the tested science is irrefutable.

I putlinks up to the test conclussions on another post but I ant gonna get into it.

More than half he country voted for obama, and half the posters here think the 9mm is a superior man stopper to the 45 lol

__________________
triggerjob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
Guys it aint a myth. The US gov did 3 seperate tests on handgun ammo using cadeavers 2 of the tests were released and the 3rd one is still classified. But th 2 tests that were released both agreed slower fatter bullets kill people best.

Anyway believe what you want to but the tested science is irrefutable.

I putlinks up to the test conclussions on another post but I ant gonna get into it.

More than half he country voted for obama, and half the posters here think the 9mm is a superior man stopper to the 45 lol
If they was shooting cadavers they still don't know what shot killed them cause they was already dead
__________________
kycol is offline  
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #220
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,266
Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
You all do realize a little boy with a slingshot and a rock can kill a giant.


Ok ok the rock was likely bigger than a 40 grain 22. So let's not pick apart rock size.
Yep. It was likely more like 84MM
__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Trust or LLC herp_man2003 NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 11 04-20-2013 10:28 AM
Beretta Tomcat, smallest handgun heavygargoyle General Handgun Discussion 9 10-29-2011 08:28 PM
Smallest .40? Gojubrian Semi-Auto Handguns 5 03-04-2011 12:46 PM
Smallest/Lightest .22 for hunting guiri Hunting Forum 35 12-15-2009 05:34 AM
Smallest Revolver SquirtGun Revolver Handguns 5 08-25-2007 12:34 PM