Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Smallest caliber you trust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #171
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1744 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default 22 lr........

If this can put down a 250# + hog with head shot it should have no problem putting down a man with less skull thickness.........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #172

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Nothing smaller then a .380.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #173
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1651 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
If this can put down a 250# + hog with head shot it should have no problem putting down a man with less skull thickness.........
True if you can get him to hold still long enough for you to get that 'perfect' shot!
Good luck with that!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #174

Likes Given: 1

It's not about the caliber, it's about the situation and a disciplined trigger finger. I used to carry a Mauser 1914 a long time ago in 7.65, I stopped after realizing that it would go through a roll of toilet paper and drop on the ground right behind it fully intact. I suppose, looking at it from the position of having low recoil and good force behind it for a minimum distance of engagement, I may or may not choose a .22lr. Now for bears... My uncle was nearly SOL when he got charged by one and emptied two speed loaders of .44 magnum in to it, but I tend to think fear took over his shot placement in that situation, even if he was a fine shot.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 1752

The original question was about the smallest caliber you trust for self-defense. Each responder has started out giving their choice, and why. That is good. But then, for others to jump on the guy/gal and rake them over the coals because their choice is not the same turns a discussion into a bad-mouthing exercise. It becomes a lively discussion, but nobody wins. For all of us, the thread gives us a chance to evaluate our choices, and maybe revise them based upon the reasoning and experience of others. But to infer that somebody is stupid or no-good because of their choice turns what could be a useful thread into a slug-fest.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #176
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
True if you can get him to hold still long enough for you to get that 'perfect' shot!
Good luck with that!!!
Practice makes perfect, a good example is an african taking on a charging lion. and all he has is a spear......Man hood or fodder.......

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #177

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Practice makes perfect, a good example is an african taking on a charging lion. and all he has is a spear......Man hood or fodder.......
Yup- You have to be the master of the tool you have to get the job done

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #178
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1651 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 809

Quote:
Well I practice and I train, but I have been in several shoot outs and for some reason none of the bandits would make it as easy to hit as the targets I practiced and trained with!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #179
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Well I practice and I train, but I have been in several shoot outs and for some reason none of the bandits would make it as easy to hit as the targets I practiced and trained with!
And what do you have to do to correct the problem......Expect the unexpected, shoot first, shoot to kill....If i were in a shoot out at point blank range, every body dies.......Unless my opponent can't hit water falling out of a boat in the open seas....On a citizen basis, the 22lr has killed more people than any other round.......

Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #180

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This thread has turned into does or does not .25 completely suck. But its supposed to be about the smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying given the choice, when trying to find that balance between power and recoil, effectiveness and shootability. In my oppinion, having inherited a .25, they are not the choice i'd feel comfortable with because they really lack in power. Id carry a .22 before a .25. I think thats the point most people here are trying to make. Obviously if a .25 is all you have you can potentially do some damage, its a gun. But that was not the basis of the question.

There is a reason the first and second amendment are the first and second, they are necessary to protect the rest.