Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Smallest caliber you trust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
There is the saying "there is no replacement for displacement". Applies to motors as well as firearms, within reason...
Yeah, there's a lot of guys driving around in these huge diesels that never carry anything, and shine like they've never driven them farther than the corner store. Meanwhile you've got these 4cyl trucks that look like they rolled down the mountain a few times, beat up, you know they actually used them to do something worthwhile.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1859

I'd get a pocket .380, like a Ruger LCP or Taurus 738 TCP if my wife would let me have the money. Pretty good for a pocket cannon, easy to hide. Maybe I could shoot the BG's gun outta his hand like ol' Barnababy Jones (AKA Jed Clampitt) did in one of his shows - the guy was about 100 yds away shootin at Barnababy with a rifle, so Barnababy whipped his mini .32 out of his coat pocket, fired immediately one-handed from the hip, and knocked that AR right outta the perp's hands, after which the perp promptly surrendered.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 11-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #133

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I'd get a pocket .380, like a Ruger LCP or Taurus 738 TCP if my wife would let me have the money. Pretty good for a pocket cannon, easy to hide. Maybe I could shoot the BG's gun outta his hand like ol' Barnababy Jones did in one of his shows - the guy was about 100 yds away shootin at Barnababy with a rifle, so Barnababy whipped his mini .32 out of his coat pocket, fired immediately one-handed from the hip, and knocked that AR right outta the perp's hands, after which the perp promptly surrendered.
Hell I wudda surrendered too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #134

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
I guess I just don't get all this talk about a 25 for self defense????
I think the best comparison would be to say you were going to dig a big basement where it would take several days with a big track hoe and several dump trucks and you show up with a shovel and wheel barrow!!!
What an odd and unfitting analogy.

Many people conceal carry every day of their lives when leaving their homes in preparation of the unknown circumstances that require self defense. Obviously, a perpretrator or BG is not going to let you know ahead of time that he intends to do harm to you.

I cannot think of a practical circumstance where you would be called upon randomly to dig a basement without prior notice, and be expected to have your tools immediately at hand. I'm pretty sure if you knew the scope of a construction project beforehand, you would already know what is needed to get the job done.

Unless you were a contractor or construction worker....at that point you would already have the proper and necesary tools like dump trucks because your occupation entails such equipment. Otherwise no one would hire you, and you have no business digging up basements :rollseyes:
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #135
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1772 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I was thinking (and yes it hurt) and if you take the average of the 25 and the 45 it is a 35!!! The 9 mm is .355!! I guess when the dust settles it all makes sense!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The diameters are about a ratio of 5:7:9
But the cross-sectional area pi x r x r, is .049:.095:.159 square inches,
or about 5:10:16 so the cross-sectional area of the .45 is more than 3 x that of the .25, and 60% more than the 9mm

So the amount of flab damaged by the .45 is triple that damaged by the .25
But in all cases it is a tiny fraction of a square inch, so shot placement would seem to be more important than the size of the hole.

Funny that pi r square. I always have believed that pi r round.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #137
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20827 Times on 11844 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

IMO, shot placement trumps caliber. and how does a person make accurate shots? practice, practice and more practice on a regular basis. also practicing with a caliber they can control and shoot accurately. caliber size and ammo selection are not going to compensate for lack of proper practice. if you can't hit your target, then it's pretty much a sure bet, that it really doesn't matter what pistol or caliber you have.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #138

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
IMO, shot placement trumps caliber. and how does a person make accurate shots? practice, practice and more practice on a regular basis. also practicing with a caliber they can control and shoot accurately. caliber size and ammo selection are not going to compensate for lack of proper practice. if you can't hit your target, then it's pretty much a sure bet, that it really doesn't matter what pistol or caliber you have.
I agree shot placement will trump caliber, except when your talking about a 25 acp, a lot of those rds will not penatrate bone, I see we at time have a good number of people on here that seem to think they are experts, and they very well may be, however when it come to a self defence handgun, if the rd wont make it through a phone book, its usefullness is questionable

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #139

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
I agree shot placement will trump caliber,
Quote:
except when your talking about a 25 acp
, a lot of those rds will not penatrate bone, I see we at time have a good number of people on here that seem to think they are experts, and they very well may be, however when it come to a self defence handgun,
Quote:
if the rd wont make it through a phone book, its usefullness is questionable
Still pissin on the 25 huh

The phone book crap is well--crap

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 11-03-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The discussions on caliber here have been pretty much inconclusive, but one thing has been proven quite well: Everybody has his/her own opinion based upon their own experience. And the freedom to banter about it, So carry whatever fits your own needs, but carry SOME kinda gun. If you don't, the BG's will win.