Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Slight Handy-cap!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2840 Times on 1645 Posts
Likes Given: 16918

Default Slight Handy-cap!

In my youth,I used to shoot quite a lot.Gave up shooting for about 20 years or so.Decided it was time to get back into it.Been shooting almost two years.About 9 years ago,I had an accident and lost half of my thumb on my right hand.considering,I`m pretty functional,but can not use mag or slide release with-out the use of my other hand.Are there any drills to help compensate?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I don't know the name of the drill, persay, but I was taught that you don't use your same hand to use the slide release, I was always taught the "over the top" slide rack method.

Later on, when I started getting formal pistol training, "Hot Reloads", where you change mags with one still in the chamber, was done by dumping your mag to the ground, prior to the last round being fired, and pulling a spare mag from your belt and inserting it with the left ( in my case because I shoot right handed ) hand, and even if necessary, racking the slide left handed.

With a little modification, the same drill could be done with your "off" hand. Dump the mag, reload, and rack the slide with the "off" hand while your primary hand never leaves the optimum position for getting rounds down range.

We have several certified pistol trainers here that are members. I am sure a couple of them will stop by and give you some detailed information.

Best of luck -

JD

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
In my youth,I used to shoot quite a lot.Gave up shooting for about 20 years or so.Decided it was time to get back into it.Been shooting almost two years.About 9 years ago,I had an accident and lost half of my thumb on my right hand.considering,I`m pretty functional,but can not use mag or slide release with-out the use of my other hand.Are there any drills to help compensate?

It's really going to depend on the gun. My CZ75B will release the mag using my middle finger of my primary hand, leaving the other hand available to insert another mag. I shoot both left & right handed, however I must shoot right handed to perform the mag change as describbed. However, my CZ83 has an ambidextrious mag release so it will perform a mag drop from either hand. Now, to prevent your slide from locking open just drop your mag while you still have a round chambered.

Your shooting right handed shouldn't be all that difficult. Learn to use your left thumb to activate the mag release and let your mag drop to the ground (or table). And use your left hand (as usual) to release your slide if it's locked open.

Last edited by Mark F; 09-11-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dango,

I thought I'd try to illustrate in photos to see if this helps you any...

Here you see the slide is locked OPEN. I slightly rotate the pistol so I can reach the mag release with my middle finger. NOTICE my thumb is doing NOTHING. The mag drops free, and I insert a new mag with my left hans AND release the mag lock with my LEFT thumb, or simply pull back on the slide.

Here you see the pistol has a round in the chamber and ready to fire. However I'm on my last shot, so I simply rotate the pistol SLIGHTLY to gain access to the release. You MUST be SUPER CAREFUL here. The pistol is LOADED and UNLOCKED! This is VERY DANGEROUS and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! I always put my SAFETY on BEFORE I drop a mag with a round in the chamber!

Here is your BEST OPTION, Lock the SAFETY, and remove your trigger finger!
Now you can SAFELY drop your mag with a round in the chamber. Never, EVER, EVER, EVER, point your pistol anywhere but a safe direction.

Last edited by Mark F; 09-11-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

DANGO,

This is LEFT HANDED shooting & mag dropping...

This is actually faster and easier for me to drop a mag as I am naturally left handed anyway.

Here you see I use my left trigger finger to release the mag. Because when shooting left-handed, your trigger finger also is your mag-drop finger as well. At least on a CZ75B. This is a lot safer and FASTER if you happen to be in a hurry.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2840 Times on 1645 Posts
Likes Given: 16918

Default Thanks!

Well,I`m shooting Glocks.I`ve just got to be extra carefull.I don`t have a problem until I change the mag.Instead of just ejecting it seems I have to take two extra steps,while being aware of muzzel waveing.A freind wants me to try IDPA. this winter.It may not even be an issue,but it takes a lot of consiuos effort to keep that muzzel wave minimal when ever I engage my left hand.Ill keep working on it and we will see this winter.GREAT PICS AND ADVICE.THANKS

Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Well,I`m shooting Glocks.I`ve just got to be extra carefull.I don`t have a problem until I change the mag.Instead of just ejecting it seems I have to take two extra steps,while being aware of muzzel waveing.A freind wants me to try IDPA. this winter.It may not even be an issue,but it takes a lot of consiuos effort to keep that muzzel wave minimal when ever I engage my left hand.Ill keep working on it and we will see this winter.GREAT PICS AND ADVICE.THANKS
You are welcome!

Sorry I didn't have a Glock to illustrate magazine drops...