Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Canis, if you want a "budget" shotgun.... go for a Maverick 88, is exactly the same Mossberg 500, in matter of fact, Mossberg owns Maverick... for less than $300 you can find a brand new Maverick 88 with 18" barrel....
What you have to look when buying a shotgun for home defense? a 18"-20" barrel... you need a short barel because it's easier to use INSIDE the house, more than 22" barrel will be dificult to maneuver in a hallway.... about the ammo... I like 23/4 buckshot #00... I think that is more than enough.
Correct!
I own fairly expensive semi-auto rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I also was given a Maverick 88 for doing a favor for a friend. I truely consider the 88 as good,or better than any other firearm I own for home defense. It is simple to use, hard hitting, without over penetration, and cheap. There is also not much to fail mechanically with a pump gun.
For a budget-minded home defense gun, it is very good. The sound of a shotgun action is also the universal sound of "TURN AROUND AND GO AWAY".

Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyrunner View Post
Just don't tell anyone if you get a Taurus PT1911.....the Taurus bashers are horrible but the gun itself is fantastic.
$600 delivered from Bud's and it went through the first 500 rds I fed it without so much as a hiccup.
I love it.
Personally, I am a Taurus basher, from personal experience. However, if you have shot the gun (no matter what make) and you feel it is reliable, and you hit what you aim for, keep it. Most experienced shooters just find certain makes have less failures right out of the box. THE GUN MUST GO BANG WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER. Accuracy is very important too.